cheap a$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by satxmow, Apr 17, 2004.

1. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

get a call from a lady in one of the richest side of town. she is looking for a mow small back yard only. i figured $25. she says ok. i get there the grass is high and she points out at 3 shrubs to trimm and says alls that for $25. i tell her no it would be more. she says why if the yard is small, i tell her i will have to make 2 passes on the lawn since so high she says ok i trust your judgemnt. before i finish she asked me to edge along the fence and fountain till dirt shows so it doesn't grow that quickly. well i do everything in an 1 hour and tell her $35. she complains and tells me the last guy did it for $25. she trys to give me $30 i tell her no $35. well she paid and i left. i will keep her name down incase she calls again. to top it off she said the last guy that cut the yard broke her sprinklers.payup

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If I've seen this type of post once, I've seen it a thousand times. It sounds to me that you are about to get your nads handed to you in a paper sack. Dump this skin-flint asap or you will regret it.

3. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

already dumped. did not leave a card or kept her number. i did notice when i was in the neighborhood there was a lot of people from mexico working on peoples yards, they had on regular shirts doing leaves by hand raking in other words they did not look professional. i even started talking to one and he stated he does not pay insurance. i am mexican american so i am not prejudice towards them. but i am sure they work cheap since they have no taxes, insurance or equipment to pay for.:angry: this is why people want everything cheap. they do it for nothing cause they pay for nothing.:realmad:

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have noticed that in the really higher income areas, the rates actually tend to go down some. They may spend more, but they get it done for less per-hour than the middle classers. They also tend to have so much work done (every stick picked up, every weed hand pulled, everything looking perfect all the time) that it is very labor intensive and so cheaper labor becomes seen as necessary to getting all the work done at a reasonable cost.

These customers also are out of touch with "working man" wage levels. They might make $50 or $100/hour in their career, so it's all peanuts to them and they begin to assume that's all anybody is worth doing this work. They also may have not done much of this type work in their lives and do not fully appreciate its value.