Cheap Advertising

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Nov 20, 2005.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked into a franchise called 1-800-got - junk that markets its hauling services very well. All the territories in my area were gone already but I still read through all there info. One of their biggest marketing techniques is for the franchise owner to hold a big sign up at major intersections in their territory. Just like some politicians do when campaigning. The key was to be there for morning and evening commutes where potential customers could become familiar with you and your Phone #. For many of us it would be easy and cheap to have a website URL that would be easy for commuters to remember. However , most of our phone #s are harder to remember. What about 1-800-MOW-LAWN . One universal # to channel customers to local members. I could get that number and build a web site to promote member LCOs and refer customers . Naturally there would be a fee for the customers info. The question is would you pay for customer referrals??? How much?

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I just looked at the site. It looks like they have a good thing going. As far as the lawn business goes I don't think that much of it. Yes, you would gain here and there but who has the time to hold a sign when you have 16 lawns that day, 20yrds of mulch to throw and a bid on a wall?

KC

3. K.Carothers

I misread your post.

It's already being done by uslawns.

KC

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Well what is your thoughts on the technique of campaigning your business at road side. Most people aren't the personality type to go door to door but this IMO is the next best thing

5. K.Carothers

I feel any way you can get your name out there is good. Since the junk hauling business is a one time sale, you need more visibility to gain new customers all the time.
    How many customers do you have? Do you need more?

KC

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

if you want to get road side exposure, either rent a billboard or get the 18x24 chloroplast signs and plant them all over. In my experience the little signs bring lots of calls but mostly from price shoppers. Others may have a different experience.

7. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

Our truck teams are given a goal of marketing activities to complete each day (dependant on the number of jobs on their schedules). Part of that marketing is a "Wave" in which they will conduct at major roadways, intersections, etc. for atleast 30 mins each day. Generally during heavy traffic times (ie. rush hour).
    I can say for sure that we've had jobs booked as a direct result of the wave, however, for most it just adds to the 27 hits I talked about in one of the marketing threads.

8. K.Carothers

Did you buy a franchise? Was it worth it?

Thanks,

KC

9. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

My wife and I bought into the franchise almost three years ago. We are very happy with the company, concept and support we receive. So much so, we are planning a territory expansion this spring.
    Our day to day operations include the same headaches you guys see with your crews. This is why I like this site so much. Operationally, our businesses are very similar.

10. K.Carothers

I read on their site you need $60 grand in liquid. What did you get for this. Also, what fees royalties do you pay?

Thanks,

KC