1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cheap blade balancer cones?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kc2006, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Whats everyones thoughts on the cheap balancer cones for blades? I know the nice pricey balancers would be ideal to have but how are the cones?

I'd guess they would be better then nothing and for $5 why not have one. Just wanted to see if they were "fairly" effective in balancing.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Anything is better than nothing. Saw some cones at lowes last week for a couple bucks...plastic things. I bet they work fine once sprayed with some lubricant. After all, what is the worst that can happen? Spend five bucks and it doesnt work that well then you have lost nothing...just five bucks. Beats the kind of green on one of those two hundred dollar ones.
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

They work okay - or you could just use a nail or something like that.

I run doubles and was getting a vibration until I switched to the sealed bearing balancer - but for single blades the cone balancer worked okay.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with PTP, I used the aluminum type cone for years with good results.
  5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine's a piece of junk, but for $3, what do you expect. I've put grease on it and it still doesn't work. Put a blade on and one side is heavy, lift the blade off and turn it 180 degrees and it shows the opposite end of the blade is heavy.

I'll stick with just putting the blade on a round screwdriver shank...
  6. lawnmaniac883

The thing no one seems to understand about blade balancing is that the blade must be held by the CENTER of the hole, not by the top where a nail is going to put it. To actually balance a blade, you must level is from the center of that hole. As for a cheap plastic one not working, probably not but ya never know. If you have a few hundred sitting on the desk not doing anything, put it to use and buy a 200 dollar balancer for a 10$ blade...
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Perform a experiment for us maniac, Go get one of those cone balancers.
    Sharpen one blade using the balancer then put it on a nail. Then sharpen one using the nail then put it on the balancer. Post back your true findings. :waving:
  8. lawnmaniac883

MMMK I will do just that :usflag:
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a cone for years. Bought a sealed bearing last year. They work about the same - only the cone is about $182 less expensive. True - you can get the sealed bearing to balance out to the billionth of a gram. But, I did a quick test and balanced a bunch of blades with the cone and then put them on the sealed balancer - they were all either exactly the same or only a very little (negliable) off. The thing works great - not knocking it at all. But, for the money, I'd probably stick with the $3 cone. I was just hoping to be able to balance my blades so that they were perfect to reduce wear / vibration on the equipment as much as possible. I'm sure the sealed bearing does it great for me but I think the cone was just about as good.
  10. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoops - posted that twice.