Cheap Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springover, May 9, 2007.

1. springover

springover LawnSite Member

Just would like to see what some of you think...
    I now realize the value in buying the expensive name brand blades, I just received new blades from mowtownusa and they suck. They were made in France and the actual edge is about an inch and a half shorter than the factory blades. I was pretty ticked this morning.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I get mine from J. Thomas, they're the same as the OEM basically... Except on my Warrior, J. Thomas is the only place that sells high lifts, dealer only sells lo lifts, cost difference is astounding:
    Dealer: $17 each
    J. Thomas: $9 each (orders over $300 free shipping, orders over $1k -10%).

I only wish J. Thomas carried a more complete inventory, but I order most everything from them, the rest of the stuff I get from Harbor Freight Tools, a salvage store or two, Home Depot, et.al.

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

It's VERY possible you either received the wrong blades OR you ordered the wrong blades. I suggest you choose a different adjective to describe your displeasure with a particular sponsor of this websight. :usflag:

4. springover

springover LawnSite Member

Sorry there sponsor police, they were not the quality I was expecting from a sponsor of this site.

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

"I suggest you choose a different adjective to describe your displeasure with a particular sponsor of this websight."

Are you kidding me? If someone doesnt like their product.. this is where they voice it.. it "mowtown" wants to defend themself, they are also able to do so...

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have NO signature, what kind of mower do you have? :usflag:

7. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

If the length of the sharpened portion of the blade is your only concern, don't worry. The math says that even at 12MPH with a blade tip speed of around 19K FPM, you advance forward less than 1" for each pass of the blade tip. The point is, on a standard high lift (side-discharge) blade, it's your blade tips that do all of the work. Keep em sharp and square. Mulch blades are another story.

Judge the quality of a blade by material, grind, balance, flatness. The profile has nothing to do with quality. That's a design/performance issue.

Blades that come from France are generally manufactured by a company named PBL. They are a respectable company that supply many OEMs here in the states

http://www.pbl.fr/comp.htm

There are a 1,000,000 blades out there that will bolt to your spindle. It's up to you to choose the one with a profile that meets your specific needs. The right blades make all the difference in the world when it comes to cut quality and HP consumption of the deck.

Good luck finding the right blade for you.

Q

8. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Amen brother:clapping: