Cheap Customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GriffinLawnService, Jul 15, 2006.

1. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I gave a bid on a lawn the other day and the guy said that the price was great he had no problem he asked me when i could start and I told him monday. Well he calls me back and asked if I would come by Friday I said yes because I was already in the neighborhood (he said he needed to discuss what he wanted done). Take in mind I have already told him a bid on the lawn its self. I go to his house asked him what he needs to talk bout and first thing he said I was to high. I was like sir?? You have already agreed to the price being good. He tried to talk me down $50 bucks. I stayed firm and told him it was worth my bid to have a nice day and hope that he finds someone else. Well today he calls and asked if I could do the yard for my original bid. Then maybe after the first cut I could lower the price...

What should I do??? The bid is a fair bid and I dont think it is worth it to lower it

2. bigcutup

bigcutup LawnSite Member

Go ahead & mow it & tell him you did in fact mis-quote the yard. Then raise it $25.00. I can't stand people who won't deal in good faith!!!!!!!
    bigcutup

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Do not lower the price by any means. Really the guy is a price shopping PITA that is going to be more trouble than he's worth over the long haul. If there's no contract he will simply hire the first person to state a lower price and with his attitude I believe he would do it anyway even with a contract thinking he can bully you if you try to hold him to it. Your effort would be better spent on somone that will sign a contract and not balk from the start.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly! Do not waste another second of your time on this person, he will cause you nothing but ulcers. When they start that talking you down right off the bat that should throw up a BIG red warning flag. I would not even cut it the first time just tell him he should find someone else and end your problem before it begins. I have enough of these in my area and after years of it I finally learned its ok to say no thanks!

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless there a senior citizen,no discount:dancing: Bro. theres tons of grass out there and customers who will your good work:waving:

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You did the right thing..now stick to it and don't let him wear you down. He can afford it. Don't let him make you feel guilty for making a living. Old trick.

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

We write into our contracts all prices are non-negotiable,and any attempts to negotiate may result in higher pricing or canceling of service.

8. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I almost felt like responding "tell him you will lower your price and hope to make it up in volume" but that would be ludicrous. Kinda like telling the dealer where you buy your gear at to drop his price so he could move more equipment and therefore make more money.

If you are confident in your pricing and the quality of your work justifies the price you demand then by all means politely inform him your price is firm. He may have the first cut at your price and if you are unable to satisfy him at that price then you know dropping the price will not help you or him..Walk away without compromising your standards.

Stick with your pricing, there are many more lawns out there.:weightlifter:

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

offer to do it for free and with no contract.

10. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

Stand your ground. When your fuel costs, insurance, parts, labor......anything related to the operation of your business.........when your costs drop (like that'll happen) then do what you will with your pricing. You'd be crazy to back off and don't let him put you in a position where he thinks you'll compromise with him. Toe the line from the start and avoid future problems.