cheap customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by whtrash73, Nov 21, 2006.

1. whtrash73

whtrash73 LawnSite Member

i was contacted by several home owners about leaf clean-up.several said 50 to 100 was what they would pay.i told them i could not work 4 to 5 hours for that and felt 200 bucks was what i believed was a good deal. any body run across these kind of tight-wads?:confused:

2. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

4-5 hours? how large are the properties that you are doing?

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to my world! Around here about 50 bucks is all you are going to get for a yard, no matter if its one hour or 5 hours, and thats for a big yard. Small ones are still in the 35 dollar range and leaves don't matter, the grass ain't growing so it should be cheaper!

4. Lady Bug's Dad

Lady Bug's Dad LawnSite Member

At the end of the day if I haven't made enough money to be happy and satisfied with what I did then I didn't charge enough. So...when I quote a rate I know at the time how much will make me happy at the end of the job. I work to make money, not as a hobby or for fun. So...if the customer isn't willing to pay me what makes me satisfied then I ride off into the sunset. :walking:

5. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I just had the same thing happen...a homeowner emailed me for himself and 4 other neighbors and looking for a group rate...I told him that my price is 100 per hour, but willing take 10 percent off of the final bill for the group...never emailed me back!!! To be honest I really don't know what the going rate is here in KC...not that it matters...that's what I need, and that's what I'll get.

6. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

When someone lets you know what they will pay before even talking to you about your service, turn and run away! For 100.00 tell them you will only mulch the leaves with the mowers!

7. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Like has been said on here before ... when you go to Wal*Mart, the gas station ... where ever ... you don't tell them what you are going to pay for something. They have a price, that's what we pay. Of course there are some things that have a cushion built in, like buying a new truck, a house, etc ... that we can "negotiate" a little on ... but most things or services have a price.

I don't build a cushion in on my pricing. What I quote is what I charge. They either pay it ... or they don't. Pretty simple way of doing business.

Remember ... it's your business ... you know what you need to make a living. Charge your rates, and if they want your service they will say yes. If not ... head on down the road. The minute you him-haw around a little about the price, they know you have some room to budge a little on the price.

This society is a funny one ... many, many people will payer higher prices because they feel they are getting the best there is. I am the same way with my two dogs and my Vet. My Vet is higher then a lot of the other Vet's around here, but I feel I am getting better, more personalized service, so we go there. It's the more personal service that does it I think ... but many people pay for that.

I'm good ... my times worth it.
    :weightlifter:

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear a comparison between our industry and the reatial industry way too often. Please use another analogy because a retail storefront has a completely different marketing and profit goal than us. They do not have leveraging in pricing because each unit makes pennies to the profit.

On the other hand, we ALWAYS have some area to haggle. Most people do not care to pay what you want, but feel like they won the "art of the deal" if they talk you down. The best way to solve this issue is to let this client win with a coupon or deduction that you give as a promotion.

Never let a client negotiate your price, but what you say your price is initially does not have to be your "bottom-line".

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I thing i have learned is never sell yourself short.

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully your business name isnt White Trash Lawn Care...or you'll have to understand why they want you to work for 10 bucks an hour lol But seriously...I get customers like that too. You know what you want to make, so ya just walk away. If you think 5 hours and they want to pay 50?? I dont think anyone here would fault you for NOT doing the job.