cheap customers.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnywill08, Apr 16, 2007.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i gotta say, most of the blue collar clients i have don't even ask for estimates anymore they respect my work and how hard it is. and just say do x, y, and z, w/o asking for price.....

on the other hand, my wealthier clients (most of em-especially one guy who owns half the property in the town center) are the cheapest sob's going... one guy last year (700k home) went behind my back to another lco for his hedge trimming, and edging mulching because they were so cheap. at first i was livid but get a good rate on his mowing so i'm just waiting for the day i can fire his ass and tell him what i think of him....

anyone else find that to be true re: wealthy clients??? i guess they didn't get rich giving it away huh?
  2. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Certain ones yes, certain ones no. I have some wealthy clients (millionaires) that rarely question anything. Some just expect me to handle anything that their property needs, period. Love those type of clients.
  3. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I went to give an estimate to a family of succesful realtors last year. I told them $30 a week for their small lawn. He looked at me like I priced it to high and then said how about $40 a week instead, with the condition that I close the gate so the dogs don't get out. Not to bad for a lawn that take less than a half hour. I have been cutting their lawn ever since and whenver I give them an estimate they always add 20%.
  4. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

5. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

That's why they're rich!
  6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i've had people tack on an extra few bucks but hey're always the middle, upper-middles class working folks... hell, i'm elated when someone offers a cold drink on a hot day, i'm legitimately happier with that just cuz they're acknowledging you're working hard. alright, you got me, i'd be happier with an extra 20%, but i'll settle for a cold drink...

lucky dog!

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Yes most of our Dr's, Lawerys and rich people are always the last one to pay and the people who dont have the money pay right away go figure
  8. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Its crazy, I'm tellin' ya!!!

One cheap millionaire will tell ya-----"Man, that quote is just rediculous!!! I can't be payin' all that money for that!!!"

Then you'll one into one like I did----"How much will you charge to mow??"

"Ohhh!!! $40 per cut!!"

"Make it $50 and cut it every week!!"
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I find that many people who know the value of hard work don't complain about price as long as its fair. There are exceptions but I think that we are usually surprised when someone who does not do physical work (dentist, lawyer, you know the type) and is wealthy and they complain about spending a nickel.
    I also have found a few who will pay but will beat you to death with questions and details because he likes the "business" end more than the actual work being done end. You have to encounter all types and its up to you if you deal or not. When I started I was desperate for business and didn't know much about this stuff. 12 years later there aren't many customer types that I haven't run across. Generalizing because of looks, education, house is like racism in a way. There is not one TYPICAL customer. Every one has a unique personality even though their need is typical. But I would say that overall my opening sentence is generally true.
  10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

That is great, and have you considered that your prices may be too low??

Just a thought!!