Cheap door hangers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bcg, May 1, 2005.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

2. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Walmart has some cheap WATERPROOF ink refil kits. Just get the $35 lexmark, some cardstock 110 weight, printshop, paintshop pro, the waterproof ink, exacto paper slicer, and a 1"-2" hole punch, and some designs from Gopher's site.
    Printer comes with ink-$35
    cardstock-$5 for pack of 250
    Waterproof ink (i think 72mil.)-$15
    exacto paper slicer-$8
    hole punch-$8
    Software - whatever it costs for you to get the programs
    Gopher templates-free

Under $100 you can make professional looking doorhangers like I did. Just make sure you don't let the ink cartridges run dry. Always keep them filled or it will dry when empty and wont refill. I only hung about 50 and landed 2 jobs, about 5 days later. With printshop, make two identical hangers on one sheet of cardstock paper. Then slice down middle with exacto, then punch hole, then cut line through hole with scissors.

Funny thing is, nobody called for the first 5 days, but while I was estimating the first, the second called from 4 streets away. At the exact same time I was giving the estimate. And it was raining hard! I gave both estimates in the rain!

I am going to hang out the rest of them this week. And believe me, those door hangers do work. You might make 75% of the homeowners mad, but at least you can worry about that while your mowing your new clients yard.
  3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I got 10,000 postcards from vistaprint full color for .04 each. Went away with door hangers because of cost and the cards have been very successful, just slide em' in between the door of the house.
  4. kwelch

kwelch LawnSite Member

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I'll ask you have to get any kind of permit to do this? I know you cannot stick anything in the mailbox but was just curious if you had to do something special for door hangers.
  5. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

They way I look at it, if I run into legal issues from door hangers, then I should have enough money from clients from those hangers to pay the fine.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You could always check with local codes about it, but in most areas theres nothing against flyers.

check out very cheap with the more you buy.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Win a Free Book 'Start & Run A Landscape Business' and Business Consulting Services Here </font></marquee>

Hi Cut,

I am glad to see the Free Templates have helped you :)
  8. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Where do you get a 1"-2" hole punch? I have been searching and can't find one anywhere (including ebay).

What is/Where do you get an Exacto paper slicer for $8?

9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes you can check out those scrap-booking stores, as they have a lot of creative items for do it yourself kind of people.
  10. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

And you know what? I got a call today from one of those and its for a pretty big bed cleanup and mulch. And I got another 30$ word of mouth client from one of those first two that saw my hangers and its mow time is 20 minutes. I only hung up around 50 or so!

I really don't want to beat the issue to death, but you got to make your ad stick out and really draw the customers in, and a few of your freebie templates, especially one, really does that job to the fullest.

Unfortunatley, I'm not going to say which one.