Cheap front-end weight kit???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jul 14, 2005.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Hey y'all...

I have a Husqvarna 48" hydro WB with the Proslide sulky (which has saved my life on many occasions and I love). It this combo works great for the most part.

However, the new weight distribution causes the front end to bounce around a little too much on bumpy ground and to lift when I go up hills (of course, duh).

So I was wondering if any of you had tips on cheap weight kits or maybe tips on how to do a poor-mans do-it-your-self weight kit hehe.

I am thinking I want to add about 40 lbs to the front, hopefully something that could absorb shock a little bit too (I actually thought a bag of soil wouldn't be that bad of an idea, about 40 lbs and great shock absorbtion, but I just don't know if I can go this ghetto!!!).

Any advice/tips would be appreciated! - Kyle.
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

When I was still using walkbehinds with sulkys I wrapped 2 sets of ankle weights around the caster arms on the front. That was 20 lbs. It made all the different in the world.

I think they were $10 a set....

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm not a bad idea... what kind of ankle weights are we talking about? Maybe I should just go steal a 35lb weight from the local fitness gym and use tie downs to hold it in place lol!

Any one else got some ideas?
  4. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

I have a weight on the front of my Hustler SWB and it does keep it from bouncing as much . However I would check with my local dealer first to see what they had available for my machine as usually fit and work better . A homemade weight kit though cheaper may mess with your warranty .

Big Hoss
  5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

How about a PVC pipe and sand?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

How about a cinder block and bailing string,Just kidding does husqvarna offer anything.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

they were the wrap around ones with what could be lead shot (bb's) in them

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

The pvc pipe and sand is a good one, you could paint it orange or black, hook it on with clamps...