1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cheap isn't always better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Icepuck72, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Did an estimate for an aeration job last Sunday. Quoted her $100, she gave me a look, and said the last guy did it for $75. I told her if she can get it cheaper and the guy is reputable, by all means go for it. We agreed when I left that I would be out Wednesday AM. She was kind of snooty about it all.

Got an email Monday AM she said she was going with another guy. I emailed her good luck and if there was anything that I could do in the future please call or contact me.

Out working today and get a voicemail asking me, or pleading me to see if I could get out there this weekend. Apparently her "cheaper" guy didn't show up as promised. :cry: Too bad, so sad, bye-bye. I can't get out there because I'm working Saturday (fire job) and I don't do lawn care on Sundays. The rest of next week I'm slammed booked with other guaranteed jobs.
  2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you!! A professional LCO has the feedom to tailor his/her business plan and type of customers he/she services. Personally, I've done just what you did twice this year.
  3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats her loss I love the lowballers that realize its too low and never come back or call.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I'm so glad I am getting a TON of calls too.
  5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have rescheduled the job and taken the $100. Part of this business is just what you initially said to this customer....leaving the door open for them to call you back. Not taking advantage of your own technique so you can feel better is only a good story for this site but she could have been a future regular. I 'm not judging you skipping on what would probably be a PIA but why bother with telling her to call you and then letting your pride get in the way of a good business tactic IMO. I've done the same tactic but when they come back you have the upper hand and I've also found the finicky types have friends who know if she's using your services they may want to as well because she Will tell them how great YOU are just to make her look good.. call her back and fit her in ... its her downstream of people you want

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand are in business,or being pride full.....
  7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I would have hit that property and showed her why I charged what I did. And probably would have thrown in some seeding. But that's just me.

The reason behind your decision is one that will quickly see you to an exit in your business. Sorry to be blunt but you can't operate that way. She found someone cheaper...so what. He didn't show but you obviously impressed her enough for her to call you.

Quick story. I had butted heads with a customer on several different issues. Finally, I gave in and swallowed my pride. To this day, she recommends me for everything. In fact, the most recent $7000 job was based on her recommendation.

But be careful of this customer. In the 5 plus in the biz I have yet to have someone BEG for aeration. Copulation yes, aeration, no.

Damn you man for being a part-timer! J/K
  8. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

So your saying his buisness will fail because he has commitments for the next week and cant get there in the next day or so....Wow you have a crystal ball??
  9. plowking15

plowking15 LawnSite Member

I see the point of not being to independent to get new accounts, but you quoted a price for a weekday. She cancels you and calls you back on Friday ,making it an emergency situation for you. Even if you could do it on a weekend. In other industries that would be an additional charge. I am in a service business,not lawncare and I will do calls on Saturday for my regular customers at weekday rates, I do get additional calls from price shoppers,because my competitors will charge an additional 75.00 for Saturday service,more for Sundays. I understand when a person is new in business,you put up with the BS to get established,but once your established you don't want to waste time with someone who may or may not be a regular customer[ especially a price shopper] ,unless it won't take time away from servicing your regular satsified customers waiting with cash in hand. I also have a habit of not fittng people in and making me late for the scheduled appointments unless the job I fit in wil pay more ,so I can give the other customers who were inconvienced a break. And the other customers have to approve of being inconvienced. plowking
  10. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

People that are saying to take her and to swallow my pride are not reading my post. I'm full all next week, and she wanted it Saturday or Sunday. I'm working Saturday, and I don't do any lawn care on Sunday no matter what. On top of that, she was not the most pleasant person in the first place.

Some of you read too much into these posts sometimes. Of course I'm smiling just a bit because she didn't go with me at first and she tried to get something for nothing...now she's calling me back.... but I'm filled up, I literally can't do anymore. This is her loss. .:walking: