Lawn Care Forum banner

Cheap Mowers Made in China.

23K views 111 replies 37 participants last post by  Spirit Lanwcare 
#1 ·
Looking to Save a Few Bucks or Looking for a "Great Deal" on a Mower ?.... beware that you May be supporting the Rise of the World's Next Economic Super Power....Cheap Labour Can't be Beat...Especially by a Spoiled North American Population.

http://www.mowersulky.com/factory_tour.htm

#52 ·
Wal-Mart is in the process of purchasing the largest warehouse complex in China. FedEx will take delivery of the first A380 freighters with a load capacity of 330,000 pounds. These freighters will be used exclusively between Asia and North America. Thats a lot of iPods.

Foreign built aircraft hauling foreign made products in and USD out.

#53 ·
Evergreenpros said:
Keeping people poor and hungry won't make them our friend. To ignore the economic opportunity in China is foolish. We need to get in there and own the companies that will supply them automobiles, computers, dishwashers, lawn mowers, bricks for their homes, video games for their kids, etc. Regardless of what the US imports or not these industries in China will go forward.
"Keeping people poor and hungry won't make them our friend".- REPLY- the people are still poor and hungry, the communist government is getting all the money. They don't give a damn about their own people, don't think for one minute that they are our friend or give a hoot about us.

"We need to get in there and own the companies". - REPLY- your concept of ownership is naive, they can take what we own any time they wish, it's called expropriation. We lost everything in Cuba, China, Angola, Vietnam, etc.

"Regardless of what the US imports or not these industries in China will go forward" -REPLY- When this is so (that they can go forward at the same pace without our business), they will not need us, then they can afford to make their move. The first move will be expropriated. Today, over 90% of what China exports, goes to the USA.

I was in the foreign trade business for 25 years (I'm retired). We imported and exported products to/from all the continents. Our best sources for importing were in Taiwan. I don't see a problem with enriching our allies. China is not an ally. The real China is not the working people, it is the goverment that enriches itself, and expands their power over the people. This is nothing new, the few governing the masses. The Chinese people are basically slaves. If they don't like their job, let them move to one side, there are many others to take their place. They have no choice. By the way, with regard to labor rates, China (Vietnam, too ) are the bottom of the barrell. Rates can't be gotten for less anywhere in the world, and still recieve a quality product.

#54 ·
packerbacker said:
Uhhh, since when has China been an enemy of the US???

The problem is you guys believe everything you hear while sitting around a bar talking with your buddies. China is in no way an enemy of the US. Nor is Russia.

If you think for one minute that its "inevitable" that we will be at war with China i suggest you pack up right now and head for you bomb shelter. We will get ahold of you in about 75 years.

Do you think i shouldnt eat their food anymore either???

And BTW who did supply the guns and ammo for the indians?
I don't "sit around the bar talking with my buddies". I don't sit around period. I don't drink beer, and I don't watch television. I'm a businessman who takes advantage of this website to learn from lawn professionals, the things I need to know to take care of my own lawn. My profession for 25 years was precisely foreign trade.

I just gave my opinion that I don't buy products from China. I have no preoccupation with death. I'm not building/running to any shelter. Whenever God decides to take me, I am His. He knows what is best for me. Besides, there is no difference between nuclear annihilation, "the end of the world" (improbable), and getting killed in a car accident (very probable). It is peoples horror of death that creates this "run for the shelter" hysteria. I don't have any horror of death.

It is simply not prudent to enrich our enemies. If you don't believe they are our enemies, then I would say to you, that it is not prudent to enrich our potential enemies

#55 ·
What about the LCO bringing foreigners over to work for 6 months and send them back with american money. This is one thing that really upsets me. Not only are we sending jobs to other countries, but now we are bringing the workers over here to perform the jobs. These worker do not stay here. They make as much american dollar as they can and take it home were it is worth more.

#58 ·
The Chinese Government is using the resources of their entire Nation to systematically BUY our markets. Period. All you have to do is look at the numbers.

American companies have to operate in an independent-state within our free-market economy. In other words, it's every man for himself. Our system demands that our companies come up with their own resources (independent of the State) and then gamble them in the market to the best of our ability. These private capital resources have to provide everything required to compete. From the factory building our products are built in, the tooling required to make the parts, the R&D to develop the products in the first place, material, manpower, utilities and on and on and on. And Taxes... it struck me as ironic that the very first check we formally wrote when we started our business was to the Government. And ALL this has to be done within the context of fair labor practices, private and intellectual property ownership, a minimum wage, near zero environmental impact, workplace safety, equal opportunity, a punitive product liability system, etc. That list goes on and on as well.

What we're up against with China is a government that is redirecting the entire strength of its National resources to provide everything required to build a product. Chinese companies (which are all essentially owned by the Government) are not required to account for the amount of resources they're consuming, as long as they get the product out. Factory and Overhead cost=Zero. Labor Costs=Zero. The ONLY thing the Chinese track is RAW material costs. A friend of mine owns a company that has been a supplier to the OPE industry for 60 years. He says that he can buy equivalent finished products from China for less than the raw steel prices in the U.S. How can they do that, you ask? The Chinese government pays their industry a 25% bonus for finished goods shipped to the U.S. What this means is that Chinese "industry" can be profitable selling for 25% below their raw material cost. They are simply buying our market by creating an environment in which no one else can compete, at least by conventional capitalist standards.. Talk about taking a "dump in the pool". And... as if this isn't enough, they're doing all this with virtual prison labor and doing it with utter disregard for the physical environment, intellectual or private property laws or most of the other earmarks of a civilized society. I grew up worrying about the Soviet Union... misplaced fear. The real battle between civilized free-market capitalism and "gang mentality" communism is being fought right now at your local Wal-Mart store.

After these guys have successfully driven all of our domestic industries into the ground, I suspect the prices won't be so sweet anymore. But by then, our economy will have been sucked dry anyway. Probably gonna be a little tough finding someone's yard to mow though. Maybe they can pay you in rice.

#59 ·
China is made our enemey because they are communist... They did also steal some of our ICBM technology's under the clinton admin... Thats a scary thought... Really this is the reason we need a missle defense system because of china and N korea...

I hope in good time once these people get a good taste of our culture hopefully they can change. Because you guys are right the government is all about Making the Powerful more powerful and making the workers more productive.. Not increasing the standard of living for everybody...

#60 ·
SpudsM15 said:
China is made our enemey because they are communist... They did also steal some of our ICBM technology's under the clinton admin... Thats a scary thought... Really this is the reason we need a missle defense system because of china and N korea...

I hope in good time once these people get a good taste of our culture hopefully they can change. Because you guys are right the government is all about Making the Powerful more powerful and making the workers more productive.. Not increasing the standard of living for everybody...
So why do they need one?

#62 ·
I grew up thru the cold war, Russia was the enemy, during Vietnam war the Chinese helped the VC, that made them a bigger enemy than we already considered them. Then came our greatest President " RONALD REGAN"
He defeated communist Russia by out spending them, we had the ability to do anything technically that we wanted and if we didn't have it we could develop it, Russia new this, They could not keep up the spending race, We WON and the wall came down. Now if all our Manufacturing goes over there and all our money is going to them, and We here in America are at war with terrorist that are draining down our military reserve and draining our economy plus a rouge tidal wave that we sent tons of money out in relief aid, add to that our own natural disasters that are costing millions, while we are spending and buying Chinese produced products, they are raking in the money and channeling large amounts of it straight to their military and nuclear programs that they stole the secrets too. while we go deeper in debt.
YES THIS BOTHERS ME!
LETS KEEP OUR MONEY HERE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

#63 ·
Curious how the most powerful military in the world, Soviet Union, our dangerous enemy for 80 years, almost overnight, becomes insignificant to the Press/Media and thus Americans. While a handful of Arabs, incapable of defeating the Israeli police, now becomes our dreaded/dangerous enemy.

It's no coincidence, nothing happens by chance. Don't allow yourselves to be brainwashed. Open your eyes, nothing has changed. The Arab terrorist is still incapable of defeating the Israeli police. The Soviet Union (and their ally China) is still our most dangerous enemy. This is not the first time the Bolsheviks have played possum, to get the Western investment.

I remember during the Vietnam War, seeing a photograph in the of a Soviet cargo ship entering North Vietnam's Haiphong Harbour, the entry point for all the weaponry that was used to kill American soldiers. The ship's deck was loaded with military trucks. What the article didn't say was that the ship's engine, and all the trucks on the ship, were built in a plant built by American companies in the Soviet Union. American companies built those plants during one of those prior occasions when the Bolsheviks played possum.

Brave American Soldiers were killed with equipment built in American built plants. Nothing changes, today American (and European) companies are building plants in Russia, China, and North Vietnam.

#64 ·
aloha from DETROIT - home of over 100,000 jobs lost to outsourcing in the last 4 years. (well actually the whole state of Michigan). Let me tell you how this will eventually affect you directly - as we seem to be on the cutting edge of this topic. Your lawn/landscape customer base will begin to see outsourcing cut into their job/salary/hourly wage. As their jobs go bye bye, one of the first things they realize is that "I don't have the money to pay someone to cut me lawn!" It's one of the first luxury service to go. I saw business drop off by almost 25%!!! Just now we're only starting to recover. My adivce - AGGRESSIVELY BUY AMERICAN - keep your money in this country. Support the wokers that support you. Sure, you may be able to get that chineese mower for $800 less or that new Toyota Pick up that looks so cool - but don't complain when you're out on the streets begging for change because no one in town has a job + can afford to hire a landscaper.
Oh yeah - another nice by-product of the old outsourcing/job lay-off: All those laid off workers suddenly go into the landscaping business with their craftsman mower and their brother's pick-up truck. Hello increased competition - oh yeah, they work dirt cheap too. Think locally! Buy American!

#65 ·
Jason Pallas said:
aloha from DETROIT - home of over 100,000 jobs lost to outsourcing in the last 4 years. (well actually the whole state of Michigan). Let me tell you how this will eventually affect you directly - as we seem to be on the cutting edge of this topic. Your lawn/landscape customer base will begin to see outsourcing cut into their job/salary/hourly wage. As their jobs go bye bye, one of the first things they realize is that "I don't have the money to pay someone to cut me lawn!" It's one of the first luxury service to go. I saw business drop off by almost 25%!!! Just now we're only starting to recover. My adivce - AGGRESSIVELY BUY AMERICAN - keep your money in this country. Support the wokers that support you. Sure, you may be able to get that chineese mower for $800 less or that new Toyota Pick up that looks so cool - but don't complain when you're out on the streets begging for change because no one in town has a job + can afford to hire a landscaper.
Oh yeah - another nice by-product of the old outsourcing/job lay-off: All those laid off workers suddenly go into the landscaping business with their craftsman mower and their brother's pick-up truck. Hello increased competition - oh yeah, they work dirt cheap too. Think locally! Buy American!
What brand trimmer and blower is on your truck?

#66 ·
Does anyone think why the jobs are going away? As some of you know, I am an immigrant from Mexico, and since I came to this country I have lost 2 jobs after union negotiations, and on both jobs I had great benefits and a very decent hourly salary for someone with only high school education, man I had it better than some people with college education, but companies have to make a profit also and the unions and people that were voting for the contracts were demanding to much for what we were doing, and believe me, we knew on one of those occasions the company was not doing very well. Well I got downsized. The company was not able to stay on business for very long after that. After that, I went to work on a packing plant with some benefits and for what I was told every time there was a contract it keep getting worse for the company and the employees and the reason, more demands from the unions (members that vote) and the company was not able to meet those demands, let me tell you there were some people making over $20 just for pushing 4 buttons on a machine, and I used to cover one of those persons for lunch for less than half of that, it was not a job at NASA. That did not last long. Also right next to that company, there was a company contracted to make truck frames to built Ford trucks, I agree a little more skilled job but I guess more union demands and they finally could not keep paying what employees wanted and they sent some of the production to somewhere in Mexico and more people got downsized. The point is do not like that the jobs are going to another country or that companies are going out of business and leaving people unemployed, hey, I am not in Mexico or some other country, I am here in United States but people need to realize that people demands are killing some of these jobs and some companies also, and need to realize that when is time to negotiate need be more reasonable and take a look at how the company is doing and think of their families and future and not only on the short term benefits that a new contract may bring, or until then we will have to deal with lawn mowers from China. What I saw and the insecurity of knowing if I am going to have a job tomorrow drove me to cut grass, where I do not make a lot of money but help me to supplement the income in my family and live with less stress. Hey I don't go to work ridding on a bicycle or cut grass with a machete.

#68 ·
gotgreen? said:
Does anyone think why the jobs are going away? As some of you know, I am an immigrant from Mexico, and since I came to this country I have lost 2 jobs after union negotiations, and on both jobs I had great benefits and a very decent hourly salary for someone with only high school education, man I had it better than some people with college education, but companies have to make a profit also and the unions and people that were voting for the contracts were demanding to much for what we were doing, and believe me, we knew on one of those occasions the company was not doing very well. Well I got downsized. The company was not able to stay on business for very long after that. After that, I went to work on a packing plant with some benefits and for what I was told every time there was a contract it keep getting worse for the company and the employees and the reason, more demands from the unions (members that vote) and the company was not able to meet those demands, let me tell you there were some people making over $20 just for pushing 4 buttons on a machine, and I used to cover one of those persons for lunch for less than half of that, it was not a job at NASA. That did not last long. Also right next to that company, there was a company contracted to make truck frames to built Ford trucks, I agree a little more skilled job but I guess more union demands and they finally could not keep paying what employees wanted and they sent some of the production to somewhere in Mexico and more people got downsized. The point is do not like that the jobs are going to another country or that companies are going out of business and leaving people unemployed, hey, I am not in Mexico or some other country, I am here in United States but people need to realize that people demands are killing some of these jobs and some companies also, and need to realize that when is time to negotiate need be more reasonable and take a look at how the company is doing and think of their families and future and not only on the short term benefits that a new contract may bring, or until then we will have to deal with lawn mowers from China. What I saw and the insecurity of knowing if I am going to have a job tomorrow drove me to cut grass, where I do not make a lot of money but help me to supplement the income in my family and live with less stress. Hey I don't go to work ridding on a bicycle or cut grass with a machete.
Sorry I have to disagree with you to some extent. The main culprit is greed by the company owners. My hubbies job shut down with only 2 days notice before Thanksgiving. They flat out told these steelworker union guys that instead of paying them $13 hrly they were going to Mexico and pay $13 WEEKLY! While everything went down the owner was reportedly chilling on his yacht! Btw we lost our medical insurance that same month. But God is still good because we started the lawn company soon after and make about triple if not more of the income with more freedom for our family.

#69 ·
Errr....... now wait a minute......You guys scream and rant about buying American, then you'll turn around and send 100's of millions of dollars to mexico in the form of wages for the mexicans that you hire that arent even American citizens and a majority that are illegal that aren't even suppose to be in the country. ;) OOOOOOOOOOOK. Thats about as two faced as you can get. But go ahead and live in your little fantasy world where you think you are doing good by buying American.

#70 ·
mommacutz said:
Sorry I have to disagree with you to some extent. The main culprit is greed by the company owners.
Well if you think about it, there is not that many owners for big companies, most of them are run by people that are responsible to their stock holders to make a profit, and even small companies run by their owners want to make a profit, even I want to be able to have an employee at some point and be able to give him a good pay but if the demands for a salary are more than I can pay, we will have to part ways, after all I do not run a non-for-profit business. I guess I am being greedy and a dreamer, but hey, the American dream is to own your company (including my one man operation). On the other hand and getting back on track, there still a lot of choices out there for lawn equipment that are manufactured in the good old USA and anyone is free to choose what they want between those made here or China.

#71 ·
Fareway Lawncare said:
Looking to Save a Few Bucks or Looking for a "Great Deal" on a Mower ?.... beware that you May be supporting the Rise of the World's Next Economic Super Power....Cheap Labour Can't be Beat...Especially by a Spoiled North American Population.

http://www.mowersulky.com/factory_tour.htm
I went to the web-site..And I was amazed..2000 for a hydro walk behind..And pretty red paint.Like a ferri..They make ztr 52" riders(hydro)Nice
And guess what 3500.00 brand new shipped...I wrote them and got a quick responce....I mit buy one of those riders.. :realmad: talk about more money in my pocket..China man mowers no problem...as long as they last and cut good..hummn

#72 ·
gotgreen? said:
Well if you think about it, there is not that many owners for big companies, most of them are run by people that are responsible to their stock holders to make a profit, and even small companies run by their owners want to make a profit, even I want to be able to have an employee at some point and be able to give him a good pay but if the demands for a salary are more than I can pay, we will have to part ways, after all I do not run a non-for-profit business. I guess I am being greedy and a dreamer, but hey, the American dream is to own your company (including my one man operation). On the other hand and getting back on track, there still a lot of choices out there for lawn equipment that are manufactured in the good old USA and anyone is free to choose what they want between those made here or China.
The owner is the guy with the most stock. None the less, the Ceo and large stock holders (no matter what their tittle is) are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. They don't care about anything but their money and the money that they leave to their children. They live in a different world and could care less about what happens to the rest of the american citizens.

#73 ·
Soupy said:
The owner is the guy with the most stock. None the less, the Ceo and large stock holders (no matter what their tittle is) are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. They don't care about anything but their money and the money that they leave to their children. They live in a different world and could care less about what happens to the rest of the american citizens.
I couldn't have put it better myself. Thank You !

#74 ·
gmj lawns inc said:
I went to the web-site..And I was amazed..2000 for a hydro walk behind..And pretty red paint.Like a ferri..They make ztr 52" riders(hydro)Nice
And guess what 3500.00 brand new shipped...I wrote them and got a quick responce....I mit buy one of those riders.. :realmad: talk about more money in my pocket..China man mowers no problem...as long as they last and cut good..hummn
where do you See 2K for the Hydro Walk ?

#76 ·
Well I can't help but wonder with all you guys talking about buying american and keeping your money in the USA how many of you all have kawasaki or Honda Engines on your mowers and use Redmax, Shindawia, Tanaka, and Echo power equipment. Your money is going straight to japan. i suggest you start buying Stihl equipment and Kohler engines on your mowers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.