Cheap Mowers Made in China.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe in 30-40 years almost everything will be manufactured in an automated plant with only some products requiring assembly by hand, mostly final assembly.

It's not uncommon to find a vehicle that is American made but the engine is Japanese, the transmission is Korean, the rear end (if it has one) is German, the suspension is Brazilian, it was partially assembled in Mexico with final assembly in the USA.

Soon everything will be manufactured in this manner. Human resources are so difficult to come by they have to utilize them as best they can. They're finding it's better for these 1000 people to make only rear ends then ship them to an assembly plant than to try and have those same 1000 people make the rear end, engine, transmission, etc etc and assemble it as well.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

While it is true that Stihl is manufacturing cranks, plastics and recently pistons at the Virginia Beach plant most of the rest of the parts are still out-sourced.

3. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Like I said...I GOT THE PRICE BY EMAIL FROM THE CO SELLING THEM..
    if these mowers are cheap..long lasting..efficient..who cares these can make your yearly profits double..by saving half of a scag mower..
    I bet the coorperate land co's get a fleet of these
    **** a muti-million co uses homelite curved trimmers in my area

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Since most of the real good cutting mowers have patents protecting their deck designs, it might be prudent to investigate what you are buying thoroughly.

5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

These cheap mowers if they are high quality are going to hurt us in the long run. Companies are goning to start lowering prices even more because they can. Also the start up cost is going to be even cheaper...

6. PM Baker

PM Baker LawnSite Member

My experiences with Made in China simple products, like shoes and rubber items is that they look the same but don't last. In the end the China products end up being more costly.

Some quick examples of looks the same but isn't:

A pair of China made Sperry Topsider deck shoes $69, lasted 6 months before the sole broke off the shoe. A pair of USA made Timberlands, $108 lasted 8 years.

All the same mask model. The first mask, USA made lasted same 7 years.
    The second, Made in Taiwan, lasted 7 years. The third, a Made in Chna dive mask lasted one season, the rubber decomposed completely.

I wouldn't buy something as complicated as a ZTR from China at any price. A few dollars saved will cost you in lost time repairing, add to that the short life and no resale value. IT ADDS UP TO A SUCKERS BUY.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The belts are 2.5k...I Doubt they'd Let a Hydro go for 2....

http://www.kimcousa.com/BR48KO180B.html

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

9. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I don't remember who posted it, but they were talking about buying a product from China and having enough cash left over to purchase a set of truck tires with the savings.

This may be true, but since all of the industry in my area started leaving, my local taxes have really gone up. The tax base has diminished because one larger factory moved overseas and that alone will cost me an extra $600 next year because a new school tax had to be passed to keep the school running. My property taxes are also going up. Even with the increased taxes my local HS may be forced to drop all of its sports.

In a large city this may not be a problem. But in small town America the revenue stream is limited.

10. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

The person who posted about factory jobs leaving resulting in new competition is dead on. Where I live many people have large yards and very nice lawn mowers. When my job gets whacked because of corporate greed I will throw my hat into the lawn care field at least part time.

I also have nicer equipment then some of the pros on here list.