Cheap places to get blades sharpened?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 1, 2006.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you have found ways to get lawn mower blades sharpened cheaply. I have been doing it myself, but it is taking a long time and I would love to just take my blades somewhere and have them ready to throw on the mower when I need to swap them out. I have priced a lot of lawn and garden places and most charge $6.50 down to $4.00 per blade. I think this is a reasonable cost, and about what everyone is charging, but it is still costly. I found one place that only charges $3 per blade, but they are a good 15-20 miles away from me at best. Have any of you found other types of places to get blades sharpened? Like maybe places that sell knives or industrial places of some sort that deal with other stuff besides lawn mowers. Some place where they would just give you a flat rate and you could bring in a good number of blades. I just figured there have got to be other businesses that have to use grinders for various reasons for their customers. Anyway, its just a thought. Let me know if you have any ideas or experience with getting blades sharpened inexpensively. Thanks.
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a commercial grade blade grinder and do them yourself.
    Nothing quicker and more economical than that!
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

$3-$4 dollars is the going rate here. Since you can buy new blades from companies like J-Thomas for $8-$10 dollars it would seem crazy to pay 6 dollars to have them sharpened. Factory blades for my Exmark are only $13. I have heard many on this forum have good luck with a simple hand grinder. I sharpen my own with a file and it takes 10 minutes. Thats faster than I can run it to the shop and after sharpening my blades 3 times I have saved enough to buy a new set. I only run 2 mowers so it may be alot easier for me to do my own. Anyway I sure wouldn't give 6 dollars when new blades are just a little more.
  4. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

$2.00 balancer from BLowes or Home Cheapo, and a DeWalt angle grinder has served me well for a few years now. Slap them in the vice, couple nice soft swipes and they are good to go.
    I used to pay $6 a piece to get them sharpened at a shop, they always acted like it was a PITA to them and was not much of a priority to them so I just do my own. I can have them off, sharpened/balanced and back on in under 15 minutes.

The real trick is to have an extra set, this way you can swap them out and sharpen them when you get around to it, or all six at the same time (or insert how many blades you have)
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As for cheap, they are right, DIY is the cheapest. My dealer charges $5 / blade because it is a pita, it takes minutes to sharpen them and it's not their best moneymaker, so they put it off but at $5 / blade they do get to it faster... As for me, even 3-4 a blade is high for 1-2 minutes work.

The biggest mistake I made was buying an expensive grinder, I paid 50 dollars or so for a Dewalt thou really the true mistake was to never loosen the grinding wheel over the years... It lasted 3 years at which time the wheel was so worn it needed replacing, but it was solidly fused onto the grinder, I could not remove it.

The next grinder I bought at Harbor Freight Tools, a Chicago Electric cost me under 20 bucks and works just as well.

As for blades, the more the better, I have enough to go the entire week just swap-and-go, thou of course when you do get around to sharpening, you might have a dozen or more to do.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What grit, size, brand of grinding wheel works best?
  7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Belts work the best.
  8. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

One of the places here that sells Hustler, Kubota, Cub Cadet, and another line offers free life time blade sharpening on new mowers purchased from them. I don't know if they do this for commercial guys but they do it for residential. I thought that was a super great deal for a big mower/outdoor power shop.

9. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

You need to total the amount of times a yr you sharpen your blades and the cost per blade to have them sharpened by a dealer at $3-5 a blade, when you see the amount you can buy a mag-n-matic sharpener and balancer and do it yourself for less money. A Mag-n- matic only take minutes per blade, if that.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Taking blades off then to the dealer and back is a lot more trouble than just doing the sharpening. Get a simple angle grinder put a 50 grit sanding pad on top of a thin metal cut off wheel and go to sharpening. This grinder can be used for mulch blades and the fancy expensive bench grinder can't, and you can sharpen hedge trimmers. Total time to do a blade...maybe 2 minutes. Make more money sharpening blades than cutting grass.