Cheap Prices on Software??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Fubba, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I downloaded the demos of Groundskeeper Lite and Gopher. I liked Groundskeeper better...until I saw the price. $260 for that??? I could make a computer program for less trouble that $260! That's ridiculous. Are there any out there that others use for less money?? I may just have to use Excel, but I like the fact that I can type in all the info and it prints it right out.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is going to come across as sounding like a smart butt... but if you can make one cheaper, then why don't you?
    We use Groundskeeper and I can assure you, it is worth the small investment.

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We use Quickbooks Pro - but it is also over $200

You could try: Microsoft Money for Small Business - $70.00
    I have no personal experience with this software but it might be more in your price range.

4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't mean to sound like a smart butt. I haven't been in the business a really long time and am just now starting to get where people want me to send them bills. I just didn't think something like that would cost that much. My bad for being ignorant.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you plan on growing your business, you should consider a powerful invoicing/routing program you can grow into. I use Lawn Monkey and it does everything I need it to do plus more. I am probably using less than 10% of it's power. I love the report functions. After you put in all your routes for the year, you can have a report generated to let you know what you can expect to gross for the season, month, week & day...basically any time frame. You can see what services generated how much money and much more. Maybe many of the software out there can do this, but this is the only one I have used to this extent. Expect to pay around $850. I have the upgraded version that handles zone based scheduling for chem apps and it was around $1250. Then you have to pay another $300 a year if you want upgrades. Seems like a lot and it is, but if you are in this game for the long haul, don't get cheap.

6. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

I bought it last year. (My 1st year) I like it. Being part time the cost was tough to justify, but I am glad I did.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What did you buy?

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a full-time computer programmer and I will tell you from experience of writing programs you are getting a deal. People outside of the industry have no idea the number of hours it takes to develop a software package like Gopher. Then the companies are constantly getting feedback from customers to improve the product. Then you have customer support.

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I suggest for those of you feeling sticker shock over $260 that you price programs like CLIP or even software outside of the lawn industry like the Adobe Professional Suite or Macromedias Studio 8 and realize that pro level tools that actually save time specific to your business have a cost to them, just like your commercial rider or a skid steer.

10. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

People don't consider the fact that software with a small target market will cost correspondingly more.

If it takes one programmer a year to make a decent packageand only 500 people buy it, thats $80K/500 ($160) in programming alone. That would be a programmer getting paid $60K (+benefits). $260 for a niche program like that is really, really cheap.

Most business software of any sort is in the $1K+ range. That's the difference between a lawn care business and a hobby I guess.

If you think you can do better than $260, than you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I could write on too if I needed too, but it would be a couple hundred hours later. I don't work for <$1 an hour...