Cheap Round Up or alternative?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pryker, Jun 26, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Just bought a gallon of Round Up Pro... $98.00. There has got to be a cheaper location for this stuff?? Where do you guys get yours and how much? Also, is there a cheaper alternative to Round Up? Where can I get that.

One other question... at what percentage to water do you apply round up pro?

Thanks

Phil

2. "Just bought a gallon of Round Up Pro... $98.00. There has got to be a cheaper location for this stuff?? Where do you guys get yours and how much?"

I use Prosecutor SA from Lesco, if you have some haggling skill you can get a better price.

"Also, is there a cheaper alternative to Round Up? Where can I get that."

Check your hardware stores, you will probably find similar generic products for cheaper prices. Before you buy you should check the label and see how much active ingredient there is, don't buy watered down products. keep in mind just because it is cheaper doesn't mean its a better value.

"One other question... at what percentage to water do you apply round up pro?"

Um, this information will be on the label. Round -Up Pro is not the same product as Prosecutor SA, but in my case I mix 1.5 oz of product to one gallon of water, and then spray the target plant until its wet.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

The best prices are at Agri. Chem. stores .
    Check phone book

4. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

I read the label (actually it was a small book) from cover to cover. There is a section that explains how many onces to use per gallon to get specific percentages (An idiot could figure that out) but does not have a recommendation on percent for killing grass, weeds, etc... I was looking to see what percentage makes the most sense.

Thanks

Phil

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Phil

Thank you for clearing up your question. The way you wrote your question, I was thinking you were the idiot.

I find that 2.5 oz of Roundup per gallon works best on all weeds. Yes this is the high rate. Roundup will not kill all weeds so anything that is not controlled by this rate generally will not be controlled by Roundup at any rate.

6. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Ric,

Thanks man!! Hey, you leave in South West Florida? I just moved to Maryland but use to live in Davie Florida. Imagination Farms subdivision. I heard it has been very hot and muggy...

Thanks again.

Phil

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Phil

You either road your horse to Mc Donald's (Only Mikey D's with a hitching post) or are a retired Dope Smuggler.

Year ago when I did professional trick riding Davie arena was the best kept horse arena in the country. Today Davie Fla. is a upscale Yuppie community and loses it's old Florida cow hunter flavor. Most of old Fla. has also gone the way of the wind.

Gulf coast Florida has been rather dry this year with a late rainy season and temp just at the 90 mark. We are just now getting the much needed rainy season.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 2oz per gal.
    -That kills all grasses.
    When I come across something tuff , I add 1 oz of 24d per gal.

9. thill

thill LawnSite Member

If you are still looking for a lower cost version of round up - glyphosate - try Honcho. It is also produced by Monsanto.

Different label - lower price.

Good Luck

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You're going to find that most common chemicals purchased in single gallons will be pricey. For a 2½ gallon jug you would have paid in the range of $140, for the Roundup label. Other generics are cheaper, but most will not be very cheap in 1 gallon lots.