cheap sofware, any good?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by causalitist, Jan 25, 2007.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

what do you guys think of this product?: Master Landscape Pro v. 10 and Home Design.

its usually $70, but its on sale for $25 with free shipping...
    i dont want to buy it if its crap though. heres the link --->
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202367797&adid=17654&dcaid=17654

all i really want is good black/white 2-d designs from above the house.. so i can print on a bigass peice of that grid paper. thats what i got used to when i worked for a large company around here.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I downloaded google's Sketch-up. Haven't played with it for a while. Might be a good tool to show customers how a project would turn out.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have that program and I love it. It takes a few hours getting use to it but once you get the hang of it you'll love it as well. It allows you to see it in 2-D and 3-D as well as a animation walk through of the house. And at $25 bucks you can't go wrong

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Idea Spectrums Realtime Landscaping Pro is a great program for the money.

5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I use SU Pro a fair bit for presentations, but at $500 there are better apps for showing softscapes and creating plans.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I need to take time and read the tutorials. I generally get frustrated when trying to do something simple. Trimmer rack shovel rack was the latest. Was quicker with a pencil and piece of paper. I am a big fan of computers too.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on your needs. Some of that is determined by what you feel you need to communicate, some of it might be based on your customers expectations, and some of it may be based on what your direct competitors are doing.

A lot of simple work can be communicated in words, other things can be done with simple sketches that are not even to scale, the more critical the use of space becomes, the more accurate you need to be to get your job right. But when it comes to sales and competition, sometimes you have to go further. If you are trying to sell design work, it has to be of high enough quality in terms of accuracy and presentation to make someone feel like they are getting their money's worth.

Without knowing where you are on any of these needs, it is impossible to answer. But, most of these products, including the cheap ones are garbage in and garbage out, meaning that they are only as good or bad as what you haveput into them as far as design goes. The difference between them is how accurately you can input information and how nice the graphics are.

More than likely, a good designer would be able to do a good design with any of them and a bad designer won't get much more out of a better program.

8. billsdepot

billsdepot LawnSite Member

Master Landscape Pro from Punch Software? Forget it!!! Since there has been no snow & to cold to do any landscaping I have spent a good 12 - 15 hours reading the manual & trying to get this to work for me. I have a picture of a home that I want to add a landscaping design to using this software and I still haven't been able to figure it out. I consider myself pretty sufficient with computers but this has me REALLY frustrated. I guess I need a different software more user friendly for dummies.

9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I do all my plans and construction docs in AutoCAD- not a cheap program at $875, and a bit of a learning curve- but it lets me do pretty much everything I need. I've found that a lot of the landscape-only CAD programs really frustrate me because they try to be TOO simple, and then you can't do as much as you can in the bigger CAD programs. I tried out DynaScape for my brother- hated it. The only thing I liked was their symbol library- but you can totally find those for free online for AutoCAD.

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Which version do you have? It took me about 15-20 hours of reading and spending time messing with designs and after that its pretty easy. I figured its winter time nothing else to do so I spent my time playing with the program and it paid off for me.