1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Trailer Tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snowjeep, Mar 1, 2009.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a 215/75/14 at a resonable price. Would like a d range if possible. Ive done multiple google searches with no luck. Any decent tire seems to be $80.00 and up. Thanks for ur input.

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ive looked and looked. If your going to get true trailer tires, there are no cheap ones!!

3. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

Your right, trailer tires are costly.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Trailer tires are the last things that i would get cheap! You go cheap now, you'll be sorry when they blow out on you with a heavy load.

5. turf&snow98

turf&snow98 LawnSite Member

i get mine from tirerack.com

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A 14" rim? In D load? I don't think such an animal exists. 14" tires are getting to be rare these days since most newer cars roll off the line with 16" to 20" rims from the factory. That makes finding 14", especially if you are looking for take-offs difficult.

I had a smaller single axle traler with 14" rims, eneded up buying Grizzly tires (unsures of the actual brand) but they were trailer tires, not pass. car tires.

The load rating on trailer tires is usually greater than what the same grade of passeger tires is.

7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with a trailer manufacturer in your area, if there is one. They may have takeoffs from when trailers are delivered and sell them as used, while they may not have more than 100 miles on them. And they'll be mounted already.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have carlisle load range C tires they are absolute junk and are cheap $85 mounted. But so far I have gotten 4 months out of them with no problems. I get cheap tires because I wear through sets so fast with this enclosed. Good luck finding a 14" D range tire, I know cuz I have tried. You may want to step up to a 15" wheel.

9. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same issue, and I have yet to figure out why. I have a 20' enclosed and buy at least 6 tires a year. Anyone have a clue??

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

becuase they scrub from side to side when you make a turn. The more tight turns you make the faster your tires wear. Just make wider turns if you can and you will extend tire life. U turns are the worst, as well as pulling out into traffic, i'll wait longer and use two lanes like a semi and believe me it saves your tires.

Try an LT truck tire, most guys in the city near me get 3-6 months out of a trailer tire.