cheap walkway spreader

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Dec 8, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am looking for a cheap walkway spreader to spread calcium cloride or salt on walkways. It only needs to last a year, so they cheaper it is the better. On line stores? Retail store? Where would you guys go.

Geoff

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Home Depo, True Value, Lowes and others stores like them. Might be less than $30

3. landscaper3

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Brand or model of choice?

Geoff

5. landscaper3

No particular brand just get a ajustable type

6. snow

snow Guest

I'd look into a cheap scotts broadcast spreader, I've used one for a few years to spread salt and sand/salt mix, i've washed it out at the end of the season and use it for fertilizing during the rest of the year. John Parker uses the scotts ones also. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowe's, wal-mart,etc. Most places will sell them.

hope this helps,

Bryan

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

For a cheap spreader try a Scotts broadcast spreader. About $35 and worth it. The only problem I've had is the small spinner agitator pin breaking. Buy about 25 small cotter pins to use for agitators and remember to hose it out after each use and it will work fine.

But, for those who need the best broadcast spreader for sidewalks and store fronts -- remember the PrizeLawn Bigfoot HVO -- simply the best!

8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Geoff,

The scotts spreader at home depot, $35.00, handle folds for easy storage, gears are sealed. Replace cotter pin with spring loaded retaining pin. They also have the hand held ones for those quickies, $9.00.

Mark

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

We use broadcast spreaders on sidewalks. To keep the chemical from going beyond the edge of the walk, we put handmade side baffles on the bottom, near the spinner. Saves product and keeps it where you wanted it.

10. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have done as Lanelle,Used a large coffee can take the bottem out and split the side,bend in or out to adjust.