Cheap way to balance blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I do have plans for the MagnaMatic, but not till the Spring ($$).

So I thought I'd use the old fashioned kind (the bell shaped kind where the bell sits on a nail, etc.). Was working great until I saw that a blade was heavy on one side and then turned it the other way and then it said the other side was the heavy side too! OK, both sides can't be the heaviest side! Now that junk is in the trash.

Then I look in the owner's manual of my ztr and it says to clamp a nail in a vise and use that to balance the blade. Great! What a good idea. I just saved $158. So I'm using my new method and it works great. Then I put a "balanced" blade back on the nail to check something out and my "balanced" blade is now dropping on one side. Come to find out, you have to make sure you get the nail exactly in the center of the hole. In other words, that method sucks too!

HOW DO YOU BALANCE BLADES WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY A BALANCER?

Somebody please tell me the answer! I'm almost outta hair to pull out!

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

take the blades to mower shop and have them do it 5.00 a blade
    if you cut enough lawn you can afford your own if not you are sharping your blade ones a month 15.00 not to bad apposed to replacing belts and spindle every year belts 90.00 spindle 400.0

3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Once again I thnk people tend to over analyze technology. Anyone can say what they want, but this is my situation. I put Approximatly 500 hours apiece on both my machines each year. I never use a balancer when sharpening blades, My grass is cut straight and true and unless I hit a major rock or hunk of metal which is extremely rare, I NEVER have to replace spindles.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Install a 1/4" drill bit into a wall stud

quarterdrill.jpg

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Put a 1/4"ID by 5/8" OD bearing on the drill bit and then put your blade on the bearing.

driilbearing.jpg

6. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

VERY VERY cool idear never though about putting a bearing on some kind of stud in your case a drill bite american know how I love it.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Not cheap but it works.

mag2.jpg

8. Pecker

Fareway Lawncare, that is what I need, but it'll have to wait.

Richard Martin, wonderful idea! That's exactly what I was hoping for when I posted. You just made my day. Thank you!!

9. Pecker

Oh yeah, what is "ID" and "OD" referring to the bearing? Thanks again.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard::: That is an excellent idea and you just made my day also...:D :laugh: :cool2: