Cheap ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've sat on a few of the cheap ZTR's in Home depot and even my local Lawn tractor shop. I thought "Hey this might make a great back up machine" , but then could see how cheaply made it was. A Zero turn is a really dangerous piece of equipment when used by someone that is not skilled. I noticed that the controls and parts on a cheap ZTR are really not made to last and might also contribute to accidents. I remember back in when 3 wheel ATVs were banned...maybe we as a community should ban these cheap ZTR's? Home owners unskilled riding a machine like this should be insured and might think twice if it would cause injury.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

every pice of hardware can be used as a weapon....

it's all up to the operator. these machines Work just fine for there intended use.

3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

These machines aren't by any means commercial. But to a homeowner who is using a 7 year old craftsman tractor, it's a dream come true.

4. Jody Campbell

Jody Campbell LawnSite Member

My husband works for JD dealership as service tech. They service (put together) the mowers that the home improvement stores sale. If asked, he will tell their customers that they are better off purchasing the smallest commercial grade the dealership offers. It is a better value.

5. montiac30

montiac30 LawnSite Member

Jody is your husband in Ft Smth? Agturf in ft smith told me the same thing and saved me from buying a cheap ztr.Bought a grasshopper and could not be happier.Please thank him for doing this.

6. Jody Campbell

No, Pine Bluff. The tech guys know that even though these cheaper mowers are sold at the improvement stores they are the ones that have to deal with the repairs (warranty) and some very unhappy customers.

7. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I don't see how they are unsafe and cheap to the 1-3 hour a week user. Have you heard of a significant number of accidents?

When you tell a group of people to ban something because you think it's not made to a standard that allows safe operation, you need to substantiate that.

Please explain.

Geoff

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i think they are god for the people they are intended for,the homeowner!

9. Jody Campbell

It's more about value. $3000=Improvement store (good for about 1 year) $5000= dealership (good for 5/6 years {personal experience})
    75% of both are financed.

10. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

I disagree and have neighbors that are using 5 year old cheap ztr's. They bought them new, mow once a week for 22 -24 weeks, 20-25 hours annually, on an average size lot of 1 acre +-. They work just fine for them.

I personally bought a "semi-commerical" ZTR from a dealership (paid twice as much) and am extremely happy with it and probably would not be happy with a "cheap ztr".