Cheapest place to buy commercial mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 6, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I need to buy a new commercial mower. Where are the cheapest places to get new and used mowers? Online stores too.

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Ebay possible, dont buy cheap, buy quality.
  3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

yes i agree buy quality, i would check out local dealers because if your mower has a problem they will be there for you deal suport is a major key in looking for a mower

Well my problem now is that I want the Husqvarna 42" mower (its their hydro-floating deck walk behind). Its really sweet and I like it a lot, but the cheapest I have seen it is for $4070 or something. I just can't spend that much money since this could be the last summer I mow lawns (in college and will likely need to get an internship rather than mow lawns the next year). I would probably try to pick up a few easy jobs for the next few years either way, but I don't know anything for sure.

I mainly like the Great Dane Gateway and the Husqvarna 42" (best design out now I think - perfectly inbewteen a 36" and a 48" and the deck is floating with scalp wheels AND you can adjust the height in about 3 seconds, no pins to pull, blades to lift, or major structural adjustments to adjust cut height). The Great Dane is pushing 6,000 bucks as well (although there is a 17hp model available that is probably a little less).

If I could find one used for around $3,000-3500 I could do that. I can sell my 2 walk behinds now and get around $2500 or so. Then I could justify the expense. Otherwise I am not sure that I can.

Only problem I see with that Gateway is the only height adjustment is the stupid pins. Not to mention jacking it up to adjust by yourself at the lawn will be very hard since its 713 lbs! Other than that its my favorite mower out.
  5. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Not to sound rude or out of place, but if you have 2 walk behinds now, and you don't think you'll be doing much mowing after this year, why do you want to spend money on a new mower?
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Russo (877) 367-8776

Zach 76, I see what your saying.

I do need to sell mine because I don't like either of them really, the small one is a Sutech and gets really tiring having to turn it (doesn't have separate drive sides) and my large hydro cuts too wide for uneven ground and won't fit through many gates.

I want a mower that is inbetween sizes and easier to adjust height, I am about to have a long summer mowing and I need a mower that can get me through easily. Not to mention my larger hydro won't fit into the bed of my truck.
  8. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Trottman, that makes a ton of sense. I'd try to pick up a 36" demo from a dealer, and see if he'll give you something for the Sutech. Hell even a belt drive 36 is easier to turn than those things, and you'd still have the larger mower for larger ungated properties.

What was that number to? Like what company? Thanks.
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed on Russo's, but the man is in Texas. Imagine the shipping charges!