Cheapest way to market with very low budget.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by A1Lawns, Dec 4, 2009.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I have 20,000 ads (5 1/2 x 8 1/2 postcards) ready to go out for next Spring. I realize I am halfway there as far as a major marketing campaign goes BUT right now, funds are low and there is no way I could afford to pay to have these mailed, even in bulk.

My question is this.....aside from the overly discussed "throwing ads in plastic bags with rocks in them" talk, what can I use to attach my ads to throw them on drives or next to mailboxes?
    I understand some of you don't like this idea. Fine. Then don't waste my time by responding with a negative attitude because I'm not hearing it. Don't care if you don't like the idea. Just want to hear from people who are willing to help.
    Anyways, frisbees seem to be a good idea but are too expensive.
    Cmon guys, help me out here. Need some creative ideas.

Thanks

2. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I love this site because of its creativity.
    Give me some of this guys....

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

If you have areas with Home owners associations... and they put out newsletters. Place an ad in their news letters. or better yet. place and "ad" but have it be an informative article about lawn care, fert, trimming, ect... with you name and number at the bottom for "consultation"...

usually pretty cheap....usually black/white but very simple and very targeted...

once you find the prop management companies you can start placing the ads regular in all their news letters...

4. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 10,000 post cards/flyers... looking to find a better way to give out also... would a customer even look inside a plastic bag on their drive way? I think they would pick it up and be more interested in it than another flyer on their mailbox... would be nice to hear what the guys have for advice...

5. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did about 3,000 fliers last year, and I got 3 phone calls, and 1 lawn out of it. I'm not even gonna bother doing them this year, but when I did them last year i got a few friends together, and get walking the neighborhoods and take them to a bar for a few beers after.

6. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Attach to American Flags and stick in ground - logoed fresbee is a great idea!
    Hire kids on bikes on craigslist - I pay 7 cents per card

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

That's exactly what's been working for us for years. Yes, I know it is almost taboo to mention marketing that way, but it works. We put out about 4000 a year for lawn mowing about 2 months before the season really starts. We get on average 2 complaints. We get somewhere around 30-40 new accounts just from that per year. You can call my numbers BS but they are true. I've always been a stickler about knowing where my $ is going when marketing, and knowing my numbers. We have mailed before but get a much smaller new account rate. Dont really know why, but it works for us.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Can you cut them off till round? Sail them like cardboard frisbies.
    Or Maybe glue a rock, ball point pen or small weight to each one.
    Or...How is this...plastic bag with tulip bulb or large flower seed in each one, (or glue same to card).
    Really there is no substitute for hand delivery. Maybe there is a school class or band group that wants to make some money. Get 30 kids together on a Saturday. You supervise and cover a major neighborhood fully. Say 50 streets.
    I hope it works--in any case.

9. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for the same answer. Sent out 200 postcards this fall for leaf removal and to get my name out there in areas I want to get into. Not one call. 3 were returned due to no one living there and one was stamped return to sender.

10. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

200:rolleyes: