1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Aren't you sick of the people that want you to do 1/2 acres for $28-35? I just got off the phone with a lady and she said that they have a little less than a 1/2 acre. I told her it would be at least $40 and she said that I was to steep. So, I said bye. I had another one like that where I quoted $45 for a half acre and the lady thought that I was nuts! These people are just a waste of time. I always shoot them my minimum price over the phone to see if the jobs are worth looking at. I'm just starting out and need jobs, but I'm not dumb and won't let people take advantage of me.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I hate to tell you this but they are right you are asking to much. People would laugh at me too if I told somebody $45 for 1/2 acre. As a matter of fact i pulled a nice flyer off of somebodys flag this spring that had hand written $45 per cut for this lawn. These lawns were every bit of 2 acre and up. $30 to $35 is about right for a 1/2 acre lot.
  3. Lawnut101

Yeah maybe, but I just think that these people want it done for $28 or so. That's what the one lady I talked to made it sound like. Plus this is in a town that takes me about 20 mins to drive to, so if I have to go there I want to get a premium price.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I get $45 minimum for 1/2 acre . Ya I just tell my minimum on the phone too. No sense wasting their time or mine or my gas
  5. Lawnut101

Exactly. Some guys won't give a price over the phone, but I feel it is worth it.
  6. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds crazy, but i do a yard for $40 and its 1/4 of an acre w/ a fence. takes me 20 minutes.....
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My prices tend to balance out at a level that I'm comfortable with. One job will seem low and then the next job I get at a really good price.
  8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

$55 and up for me. A $30-$35 lawn for me is 10k - 14k.
  9. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new account yesterday at $60 for a 1/2 acre. The place has one tree...it'll be one of my favorites this year.
  10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

us too. In fact most that size are around that price.