1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cheapskates, lowballers, Rain and now this.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnpro724, Mar 30, 2008.

1. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I thought this was going to be a good year since I picked up several landscaping jobs for this spring and was hoping to pick up a bunch of new mowing contracts. I guess its still early for mowing customers to start calling but I did give a few estimates for mowing only to find out I didn't get them due to price. The estimates I gave were very fair I thought, only to find out people they went with were mowing cheaper than I can afford to. I'm not to worried about lawn mowing since I will get more calls as the season goes on. I have several landscape jobs to do but can't get any of that done either do to rain. I have been running into all kinds of problems this year that I haven't in the past. This year price seems to be a very big deal and it just won't quit raining all of my landscaping jobs are on hold since the ground has been saturated since January. We have had over 20" + inches of rain since the first of the year. This March is going to break the 93 record which was the worst flooding in history at least until now. Another big problem I'm having now is that all of the boards on my trailers are so soaked with water that all the boards are swollen up and even if I could work I wouldn't be able to get my mowers on the trailers. The only option I have at this point is to replace all the board on all my trailers since it not going to dry out any time soon and I have work to do if the weather will give us a break.
  2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I feel your pain. My year is not starting out too great either. Mainly due to people dropping me and the economic slowdown. Things should begin to look up soon. Hope your conditions improve. I am like you with the landscaping jobs. Where the maintenance part is slowing down the installs are picking up. I am about to catch up on all of the extra work (installs, pine straw & mulch applications, etc...). So, it would be great to pick up a few more mowing accounts.
  3. lawnpro724

Good luck with this year landscaper22. I know this will be a good year for us but I just wish it would quit raining for a week or two and the temps would at least make it to the low 70s.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

We're getting 3-7" of snow tomorrow... just when you thought things couldn't be worse. :rolleyes:

Sounds like that'll turn into more rain for you guys.
  5. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

How can you not get the mowers onto a trailer because of the boards being saturated, I cant picture this...
  6. lawnpro724

Because its been so wet that the boards are soaked all the way through and have twisted and bowed up in the center. The boards are raised up more than 10" higher in the center four boards, the other two boards on each side are still fine.:cry:
  7. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Get a garage, enclosed trailer, tarp, or a therapist please.:hammerhead:
  8. lawnpro724

Grow up, I don't think I said anything negative about you did I ?? I'm just trying to explain the problems I'm having with this season and wandering if anyone else is having the same problems as me. Your new to this business from the sounds of it and I hope things go well for you. Things are different in different parts of the country or for that matter even different parts of the same state.
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I watch CNN and with all the brain washing going on that "News" channel it's no wonder people are worried about money.

Personally I don't believe a word of it, and besides everything is fine here in Canada except for gas prices.
  10. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

We've had drought here for the last couple of years. I hope we get some of your rain this summer.