Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 19, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't it just make your blood boil when you have a client living in the most expensive part of town with a huge house but he does the landscape himself (crappy) and has you come out and trench in the mainline and design the system but he wants do the rest himself to save money.

I guess you get wealthy by being cheap, but jeez.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No because that is a waste of your time.I would have refused that job.Unless you did not know he was gonna pull that on you then that is diffferent.But if somebody called me to just trench a line for him,I would have said no enless he went for the whole installation.
  3. I hardly ever say no to money...

I will do as much or as little as they want....and charge can make a good living helping people whether they live on the good or bad side of town....I mellowed out this last 2 years, mostly out of necessity, but I realized that even if they cannot afford to pay me big dollars to install their entire system, they will gladly pay me big dollars to do the parts they cannot do.

And sometimes they tell a friend...and on those rare occasions that they screw it up....I get to fix it for them and not only make big dollars...but look like a who can argue w/ that?
  4. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

I can see big money in the design :) :)
  5. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I think you're missing the boat. I would much rather pull the poly lines and leave than install the entire system.
    1) You get your money off the top.
    2) You get over paid to pull the pipe.
    3) You avoid a ton of hassles

We charge $125.00 / Hr to pull owner supplied pipe. There is a four hour minimum and $125.00 / Hr from there. I can usually do the layout and pull 2 jobs per day. That's $1000.00 per day, no call backs, no warranty.....etc
  6. ChaChing....

I have a friend in Arizona that trenches for homeowners...gets tons of referrals from the parts houses and the guys at the big box stores....charges 250 minumum....does 4 jobs per day.

I always thought there was a market for Homeowner Helper.....less work, more of a PITA but less work physically....

Charge a set amount to (1)design system and give them a punch sheet for parts to take to their local parts house.....(2) pull/trench

Maybe someday I will run w/ that idea. Maybe not as I enjoy the abuse my body takes in spring...
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do a few where I would install the plumbing stub out, backflow preventer, manifold, wire and controller. I loved those. Usually the only digging was for the manifold, and I would try to get the homwowner to dig that as well.

I see plenty of cheapskate systems. I would rather work on a bad contractor installed system, than most homeowner installed systems. At least the contractor installed ones have a few quality parts.

I love getting the call from a homeowner, who cracked his RP, somehow got it out but can't get the new overpriced one back installed. Basically he would twist the RP off one side, which over tightens it onto the other end, then twists it off the second side. But can't comprehend why it wont go back on without leaking. $100 to install sir, and no warranty. My tech did one Thursday. 25 minutes and $100 later............
  8. I should have taken a pic of the 1 inch copper repair I did yesterday....

The downstream side of the breaker was too whomever fixed it years ago used a really cool brass compression coupling...LOL...leaked like a mother..had to completely re-do the downstream side....nothing special, but you should have seen it.....

I gave her the name of another sprinkler guy that lives that far north for future repairs...I hope he appreciates the fine copper work I did for her....;)
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well when I work on it in the future, I'll try to take pics and post them, criticizing whatever you did.
  10. I hope so.....I need all the help I can get.