1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cheaters Never Win...Well Maybe They Do

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sean Adams, May 16, 2008.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

If you follow the world of sports you are probably aware of the NFL "SpyGate" controversy that is going on involving the New England Patriots.

Here it is in a nutshell...

The Patriots won a bunch of Super Bowls and achieved unparalleled success from the years 2000-2008. This was seemingly amazing considering in this day and age of high priced athletes moving from one team to another year after year.

The last year, at the beginning of their never seen before perfect 16-0 season, they get caught cheating. They had a guy videotaping another team's signals, coaches and plays.

The owner of the team gets fined a bunch of money and so does the coach. Then the NFL commissioner takes all the evidence and burns it and says case closed.

But wait, a politician says not so fast. He says that more investigating needs done. The NFL says....nah, we're good, but thanks anyways.

Then a few months later, a former Patriot employee who was videotaping other teams for several years comes out and says the Patriots have been doing this for years and they may have even taped a team's pre-game warm-up before a Patriot Super Bowl victory.

The guy who makes these claims does not want to come forward in fear of getting in trouble with the law. He finally strikes a deal and this past week he presents the tapes he had made of other teams - bad, bad, bad videos of the other teams coaches calling plays, then him taping the play and the clock and then sending this information to the Patriots coaches.

Now that politicain says we need to dig deeper. He says that this is a big deal because if we in society tell these role models that it is OK for them to cheat then we are sending a message for all the kids out there that it is OK for them to cheat.

You have heard the saying that cheaters never win.... apparently in this case, they can win - several Super Bowls and a lot of games....

If you ask me, it is pathetic and it makes a ton of sense. A team in this era of free-agency to go 16-0 and win several Super Bowls just didn't make sense. I found it hard to believe that this one guy and his players were so much better and so much more capable than the other 31 teams in the league.

I guess time will tell what happens, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that they get a slap on the wrist and everything goes back to normal....

Very sad....
  2. rachael24

rachael24 LawnSite Member

A slap on the wrist is right...They will not do anything harsh. Its sad too!
  3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats a true steeler fan talking!!!!
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Politicians have no business being in the NBA, NFL, Hockey, base ball, ect...
    Its all entertainment., and they just need to let em be.

In fact I be a proponent of an "all drugged" team...Why. why not. Id love to see some jack 100 home runs in a season, or to see some one have 3000 yard rushing year, or someone pitch a 120mph fast ball...400 yard drive....

but seriously, the politicians need to focus on their job of running the country. Its painfully obvious that they are not right now the last thing they need to a distraction.

We've known for a long time that cheaters win....Dale E., Rusty Wallace, Darrel waltrip. How many Olympians have won gold medals....How many weightlifters have used roids....How many tennis stars have used drugs, or cyclists blood doping....

We have been a society of "bending" the rules for along time, pro teams cheating....should not be a big surprise...
  5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

You are so true
  6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

If I was a sports fan AND a Politician... I would want to clean that crap up.

Ben Johnson is a crack head in my opinion.
  7. MarcSmith

I love to see a human break the 3 minute barrier in the mile...On foot.

and then just as they cross the line....their heart explodes out of their chest like in aliens....or their ankles break like 8 belles.....
  8. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

It's called getting the upper hand on your opponents. Everyone's just pissed they didn't do it instead of the Pats.

There is no need for "washington" to get involved. It's not their place.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Its easier then dealing with the real issues. Isnt Arlen Spector and the person who started this thread from the same state?
  10. MarcSmith

no everyone is pilling on the pats, as it draw attention away from them. IE I'd put money that other teams are doing it....just haven't been caught, or are paying the folks who are taping for them enough money to keep quiet.