Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jun 30, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

There seems to be alot of cheaters out there that mow the same pattern that they done from the begining to get there stipes.
    Yes there is some places that you can do this.But on large propertes.
    Thats cheating what do you guys think?
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

"Find a way to win", thats what my gym teacher said when he heard I cheated. But this was before school even started it was just a game we were playing. But anyway, If ruts don't form I see no problem in that.
  3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will mow the same lines sometimes two weeks in a row, but then I switch. If the lawn has to be double cut every week then I dont see a problem.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Call it what you want, but who are we cheating? There are some that couldn't drive in the same tracks if they had to, that mow around here. Some can't drive consistantly the same to do this, what do you think? Some are so crocked, I couldn't follow them if I tried.

I have 2 or 3 stripping patterns in every lawn. As far as I'm concerned, that is enough and I've never had a complaint about my mowing, ever.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 patterns on all of my lawns, including my own. Although, I guess I'm a "cheater". I go over my pattern twice in two weeks to build up my stripes then I'll change patterns on the third week. Sometimes when I have to double cut (usually when I get a new job and it hasn't been mowed in a while) I'll double cut at a 45 degreee angle. I like this a little better than going straight across, don't ask me why, I just like it better. Or if I have to double cut, I'll go over the same pattern if the clumpage isn't too bad. After that, the lawn looks great. Not a clump in sight. Anyway, like Eric said, who are we cheating and why does it matter? I'm the only guy that stripes in town anyway so I'm not worried. All the other guys in town have to double cut and can't follow that passes they made the FIRST time they mowed so they have lines from their tires all over the lawn, not to mention they aren't even stripes, just lines. Really does look like crap. My dad, who doesn't care for striping all that much and believes that it doesn't offer me an advantage, said that those lines all over make it look pretty $h!tty.
  6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

wouldnt they be cheating there self(company image).what if they get another costomer that knows it sould be mowed in diferant direction
    and wants the stripes to look as good as the ones they done down the street. i see a lot of stripes that are the same direction every week
    they dont change didrection at all and after a bunch of cuts there
    stripes look good. dont know about the ruts but they would have to have them. the grounds not dry all the time.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Eric,you are right,most guys couldnt stay in the same tracks,LOL.Most stripes here have a serious hook at one end where they turn around and arent lined up right.As long as yo dont get ruts,or thin spots in the tire tracks,there is no crime in staying in your tracks repeatedly.