Check did not clear

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jpp, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Been in business since 98 and this is the first time I have ever had a check not clear. Called the property owner on Tuesday twice and was not in. Called this morning at 8:45 and went to voicemail.So I left a message. No call back from them.

I think I am going to the bank in the am and see if funds are in the account and cash it. But since I don't have an account there it will cost me 6 bucks to cash it. Who else has done this without talking to them first?

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

when i have a new customer that seems odd i will take the check to their bank i have never been charged a fee for this service
  3. jpp

It is a small time property management company and this is the first time I have ever had an issue with them.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

go to their bank. Let them know the situation & they will cash it for free.
  5. jpp

I called their bank and they told me that it would cost 6 bucks to cash it if I do not have an account there. I am going in to the bank on Thurs and talk to a manager.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

man its six bucks for the peace of mind. just go do it. i did today cost me five bucks.
  7. jpp

Not to mention the money for the bounce check too. But on the message I said I would be sending an invoice for that too.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

send them an updated invoice tomorrow with the bounce check charge so it will show the check bounced and the new price in case you have to go to court

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

With most banks you can just call the bank and they have a check verification number...either automated or sometimes there's a live person (not often) Saves a trip to the bank.

You don't see bounced checks much anymore...the banks all figured out it's better to let the check clear and nail the check writer with a NSF fee...this check not clearing would seem to indicate they had nowhere close to the funds available in their account.
  10. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Here is an old trick I was taught from a slum lord. Sometimes a bank will tell you how much the acct. is short of cashing the check. If it is a good size check it is worth depositing the short amount by writing a check and depositing in their acct, now there is enough money to cover your check! There are no regulations saying who can or can't deposit money in a account. Obviously, the amounts would dictate whether it would be worth doing, but if I had a big check and the account was short just a small amount, I would rather be out the small percentage than the whole amount. Just a thought.