check engine light with code. HELP

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Sep 8, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my check engine light came on, so i pluged my code reader into it and i got a po442 code, which means a small leak has been dectected in the evaporitive emmisoions control system. i replaced the gas cap as recomended, and reset the codes. but i believe this to be something other than the gas cap, as there was no damage to the cap. i will know in a few days. what else could it be? how much to fix? i'm thinking hoses, or that charcoal filled can.

it is a 2000 RWD chevy astro. any thougth are well apreciated.

thanks

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'd be looking for the easy stuff first. Maybe something as simple as a hose pulling out of the EVAP canister or a leak in one of the vent lines, fittings, tees, etc. You ever catch a whiff of stong raw fuel vapor?

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

My wife has a 1999 Monte Carlo. Had the same code. It was the filler neck tube. It had a small hole in it, due to rust. Replaced the whole assembly, cleared the code, and it is working just fine. At first, I thought it was the gas cap, but upon further observation, the filler tube was the culprit.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

interesting, i know mine has a bit of rust on it, i'll have to take a close look at it. i have afriend who is a mechanic, he should be able to know for sure.

thanks!