Check Hose Clamps!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wanabe, Apr 19, 2004.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

If anyone owns a Exmark liquid cooled, then please check your hose clamps. The story: The boss sends me out with a Lazer Z to go mow a few of our smaller jobs, I said ok and away I went. The first one went great, but had a problem at the second. I was about 1/2 done with a very small yard when I got a bath! I thought what the heck, so I looked arround and seen that the upper rad hose blew off of the intake. Dexacool was everywhere. I am just thankfull that it was not hot, or I would probably have severe burns to my back and arm. I just ran this mower for 6 hours straight the day before. Please check your clamps.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

wanabe,

That's a new one on me too. Just in case guys It may be a good idea to check all of your hoses just in case. It might also be a good idea to make this part of your monthly maintenance and certainly part of your annual maintenance.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Dexacool? Really?

I've had nothing but bad experiences with that stuff in my last GM product. That stuff turns to mud after about 60,000 miles in a truck.

Just my .02 - may work great in a mower.

4. sutliffe

sutliffe LawnSite Member

Get the system flushed and have the dexacool replaced!

5. That's exactly what I did when I realized there was a problem! It still plugged up the heater core though.

Owner's Manual said it was good for 150,000 miles min. It didn't even make it half way.

What does Exmark recommend for coolant flush/change intervals?

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Pwarren4,

Good question! The manual states every 4 years or every 4,000 hours which ever comes first. Personally I'd cut both of those in half.

After 2 years there probably isn't anything wrong with the coolant itself from what we've seen in our application. My concern is dirt, debris, contamination etc. The other concern is whether or not any fluid has ever been added and what type of coolant was used. After 2 years I would assume that most operators have added some coolant. The question is did they use the correct coolant in the correct mixture.

For no more time than is required and no more than it costs I'd change it every two years.

If I were using the "green" standard type of coolant I would change it every year even though it may be rated for 2 years.

It's a fairly small investment for peace of mind.

Thanks,

Terry