Check lost or stolen

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Royallawncare, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I just recieved a letter in the mail from my bank with one of the checks i deposited last week it informed me that the check must have been lost or stolen and not to re-deposit it...What should i do about this?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call who wrote the check and ask for cash payment. I would also only allow cashiers check or cash in the future if you get a weird feeling from the conversation.

3. Royallawncare

that is what seems weird i got no feeling that this was a bad thing the gentleman who wrote the check was an old man in his 60-70's talked with us about the vacations he was going on and about the flowers he was planting he showed us his green house told us he wanted us to come back and fertilize i have never seen this or expected anything like this.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It very well could be an error. I guess you will soon find out!

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Simply call the bank for a better explanation and see if they can correct or offer anything on their behalf. If no luck, contact the customer for a resolution or he should contact u first, Im sure the bank sent him a letter informing him.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's REAL simple. ALL you have to do is just call the customer and ask him what is going on. At that age he may have forgot he wrote it to you and thought he lost it, he may be senile and/or have a legal guardian or Power of Atty that didn't think the check was suppose to be written....or he could be a plain old deadbeat or con, but Heck, I would have already called him regardless before I ever posted this question.

7. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I wouldn't wait another minute to call him and find out what the problem is, could be just a stupid mistake!

8. Royallawncare

Have no fear i did call the customer i just wanted to see what some of you would say apparently this couple lost their checkbook and went through all the legal work to get a new one however they either didnt recognize or missed our check in the process and so we are getting a new check from him tommorow