Check my invoice please!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GrazerZ, Jun 29, 2005.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing an invoice for a customer and would like to see how your prices compare to what I have here, any info is apreciated.

System start up $75.00
    Replaced 7 rotors w RB 5000 $315.00
    Replaced 5 Sprays w/ RB 1800 and nozzled $ 175.00
    Repaired 2 lateral lines from plow damage $68.00
    Total:$633.00

I am charging $45.00 per rotor to replace and $35.00 per spray to replace.
    My labor rate is $45.00 per hr.

I would like to know how you would have billed this invoice out. Thank you. :)

2. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

I would have billed it straight T&M. Time x rate, list of all materials at retail prices x qty.

Being a startup, the time would've been slightly skewed. Seems like a lot of money, though without knowing how much time you spent there and your level of experience (I can only assume you do not do this regularly) it's hard for me to judge.

3. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

WOW! do they at least get a kiss with that. seems high to me, the hourly rate is fine but thats one heck of a mark up. I charge the same per hour but only 18.00 per rotor, but if people call you back more power to you.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I would also say very high.

I'm going to say about 2.5 hours - just a guess on my part. Don't know how long it took you to start up, check out and ajust and find the problems.

$50 for service call fee which covers first half hour
    Additional 2 hours at $56 an hour - $112
    7 rotrs at $24 each, but because it is so many I usually reduce to $20 each - $140
    5 spray heads and nozzls at $7 each - $35
    Repair 2 lateral leaks - probably max of $40 parts
    Total $377

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

$75 Startup sounds OK
    You replaced a total of 12 heads, I would call that 2 hours @ $40/hour so $80
    Plow damaged laterals.........simple pvc or poly splice? an additional hour and 4 1" fittings? $40 for the hour and $10 min for parts.
    7 rotors @ $30 ea. is $210
    5 spray heads @ 6.50 ea. is $31.50
    So, without getting any more in depth......$446.50
    Looks like we are 3-4 hours apart on time, I have competition that pays hourly help that work at a pace like that, but I don't know your situation or the specific problems this site may or may not have.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, If you can get $45.00 for a $20.00 rotor, $35.00 for a $6.00 spray head, PLUS $45.00/hr, I'd keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone where that little goldmine is. Good on ya.

Funny thing is, if someone puts up their prices and they seem low, are low, etc. everyone jumps on 'em and calls them a 'lowballer'. But when someone has prices that are considerably higher than they are able to get, no one calls them a 'highballer'. No, they actually tell them that their prices are too high!! What's up with that? I always thought one should charge what the market will stand.

7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx guys,
    I suspected that they were high. I usually I bill time and materials. But I am trying to figure out a straight cost per head to replace. I havn't billed any of these jobs out yet so I will look at it again. I do think its important to not low ball prices but I am also not one to gouge a customer either. Its true that we don't do alot of irrigation work at present, there isnt alot of it around here for one. so we are trying to estabish ourselves in this area. There are only about 5 companies that even service or install that I know of. Thanx again.

8. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

$15 a zone start up fee (6 zones???) -- $90
    7x RB 5004plus (All I use) $25 per --- $175
    5x 1804 w/ noz. $7 per -- $35
    4x couplings (poly) $1 per -- $4
    16x 331r(double clamped) .50 each --$8
    25' poly pipe $1 per foot -- $25
    1.5 hrs over and above the turn on ($75 per)-- $107.50
    Total bill -- $444.50

Just an estimate !!! If you can get more and get called again then good for you otherwise you should get more because they might never call again. Remember work smarter not harder. Why work 75 hrs a week to earn a living when you could earn the same amount working only 50 hours a week by just up-ing your prices a little.....

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

That sheds a different light on the subject then. If you are charging $45.00 for a rotor head then your pricing gets a little skewed. For one head replacement you are making roughly $30 - $35.00/hr, assuming the head costs you $10 - $15.00 each. For two heads it gets up to $60 - $70.00/hr, and for three heads its at $90 - $105.00/hr, and for four heads it gets to $120 - $140.00/hr. And that's about the maximum number of rotor heads that you can bill for a one hour service call. 4 per hour.

Now, I know some of you young hard chargers are going to say that you can replace a rotor head in less than 20 seconds. But can you? Really? That first hour is actually down to 45 minutes once you factor in drive time. Then you have to be shown where the controller is - another 5-7 minutes because the homeowner is telling you who installed the system, who serviced it, and how much trouble it has or hasn't been, and what they think broke those heads. Then turn on the controller to the proper zone and go out and locate the offending head or heads - figure another 3-5 minutes. Now return to the controller, shut it down, go to the truck and get the heads. Don't forget the sharpshooter, the channel-loks, and the nipple extractor, and the nozzle trees. Another 4-5 minutes. Remove broken head - unscrews easily, hole stays clean, threads onto nipple easily - cool, maybe 2-3 minutes because you have to put in the proper nozzle, and adjust the arc. Okay move to the next head. This one is buried a little deeper. Dig around head, remove broken head, clean dirt out of riser, or remove riser to clean out dirt. Rethread head onto riser, install nozzle, adjust arc. 4-6 minutes. Move to the next head, this one is a *****, some knucklehead threaded this one on a sch 80 riser and it is super tight. Dig down, get a good grip with c-loks, remove head and nipple. Clean dirt out of fitting. Use nipple extractor to remove nipple from old head, or locate new nipple in parts bucket/box/tray. Install nipple on new head, rethread onto lateral, install nozzle, adjust arc. Another 4-6 minutes. Now the last head is on the other side of the house in the far corner of the property. Few minor hitches - cross threaded nipple twice but finally got it on there. Installed nozzle and adjusted arc. another 4-6 minutes. BAM - 4 heads changed in less than an hour. In fact if you add up the time, it's between 26 and 38 minutes. So you have beat the clock by 7-19 minutes, and you're outta there. But wait a minute, you have to turn those zones on and check the new heads. And they are on three different zones. Guess what? You're gonna have to hurry to make it before the hour is up. And then there is the paper work. You have to make out the materials list so they can be billed, or if you invoice on the spot, you need to price it out, take it to the door, explain what was done and what was charged for doing it, then wait for them to write the check.

So, I stand by my statement that about 4 rotor heads can be replaced in an hour. Sometimes everything goes smoothly and it can be done in less time and you make more money, but that's not the norm. Probably in the second hour you can replace 6 rotor heads, but not many more.

With spray heads, you will do well to replace 6 heads that first hour, and then probably 8-10 or so the second hour.

So we use an hourly rate (one hr minimum) and mark the materials up to list price. So a $10.00 rotor (my cost) is billed at $20.95 ea. That way we maintain our profit margin on materials and get our labor rate of $60.00/hr. And we charge $60.00/hr for every additional hour we are there in 15 minute increments.

Just my thoughts,

Jerry R

10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area, your about right.