Check my numbers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by polecat63, Feb 18, 2005.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

This is a bid for a landscape install. Just wanted a second opinion on my numbers. Install the following plants and materials.
    1 Red Maple, 3"
    3 Purple Chase Trees 7 gallon
    32 Dwarf Gardenis, 3 gallon
    67 St John' Wort 3 Gallon
    35 Carissa Holly 3 gallon
    24 Pittisporum 5 gallon
    47 'Pinky" Indian Hawthorn 5 gallon
    49 Purple Coneflower 2 gallon
    84 Lantana 'New Gold'
    32' Steel edging
    200 square feet Tiffway Bermuda sod
    15 foot crushed stone walkway
    18 cu yards of hardwood mulch
    Install 12 tons of 3"-6" river rock, already on site, so labor only.
    Install 40 feet of 6x6 at ground level to seperate stone and mulch.

My price for ALL the plants and trees is $3,457 so don't waste time looking up prices. I pay $18 dollars a yard for mulch delivered. Soil will be prepared and ready for planting as part of the demo of the existing landscape.

Something doesn't feel right about my numbers, but maybe I just have the first bid of the season jitters. I came up with a bid of $12,800. If anyone has time or has has a computer for a brain, let me know how I did. I won't be presenting the bid until monday evening.

Thanks for any help you all can give me!!

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say you are in the correct ballpark.

3. polecat63

Thanks Sodking,
    Anyone else got anything.....

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how will you be getting the plants to the job site? don't forget windthrope occurs at 33mph.

5. polecat63

Plants will be delivered by two local wholesale nursuries in closed container trucks.

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What labor rate are you charging?

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Your price seems to be in the ballpark
    I just wonder about a few details.

To provide and install plants with or without warrenty = ?
    To provide crushed stone and create walkway = ?
    To provide and install steel edging for 32' =
    To provide 200 sq ft of Sod,Prepare ground and install =

What equipment do you plan to use to handle the 3" Maple ?

32' Steel edging
    What price per ft. have you charged for this?
    What kind of prep work is needed? Are there tree roots in the way?

How are you installing the 6x6's are there miter cuts needed ?

"12 tons of 3"-6" river rock, already on site"
    If the stone is 45.00 per ton as it is here,then since the stone is already on site I would charge 67.50 per ton to handle it. ( 810.00 )

If I had provided the stone I would charge 112.50 per ton (1350.00)

"15 foot crushed stone walkway"
    You mentioned the walkway but you did not include a cost for the crushed stone or the fabric to put the stone down on.What will border it?

"200 square feet Tiffway Bermuda sod"
    This will take extra grading and tilling to prepare for the sod
    Have you considered this or the watering plan?

Is this a freebee? I do not see an itemized list of what you are to demo?

"Soil will be prepared and ready for planting as part of the demo of the existing landscape."

There is a grey area here.Be sure you state what you will demo. Without the itemized list there is room for misunderstanding.

Are you comming in with a bulldozer and wiping everything out and then grading it to fit your landscape plan?

No topsoil needed?

Have you thought about construction protection for the trees that the client
    intends to save? :eek:

8. polecat63

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the demo will be complete before the install. All existing plants and trees will be removed except two existing crepe myrtles. The entire site will be excavated and re-filled with planting soil and compost. No tree roots or other obstacles in the way.

The plants will have a one year warranty.
    The stone for the walk will be less than $100, my cost. Don't have the exact figure in front of me.
    The steel edging runs about $2 a foot.
    The ground will already be prepared for the sod.

I'll have a skidsteer on site to handle the Maple.

Hmm, I was a little low on the handling of the stone, but your figure seems right.

The walkway will be edged with the steel edging. The cost of the stone and fabric are included in my price.

Are far as the demo, I had a separate thread with the demo info, but only two or three peeps took the time to respond. Understandable.

The 6x6's will not require any miter cuts and will be secured with 4' pieces of re-bar driven through them.

Won't be using a bull dozer, but a nice big skidsteer to clear everything out. Only a bunch of liriope, a few euonomous, bayberry, canna and two crepe myrtles to clear out. Remove the existing river rock. Level and excavate the site, refill with the planting mix. Haven't nailed down the price for that yet. But I somewhere between 4 and 5 grand at this point. Haven't decided on means of disposal for the soil yet. Roll off limit how much you can put into a container, and can't nail down a firm price for someone to haul it away. They have all said they need to see it before ethey can give me a price, Huh? By that time I'd be shafted. You'd think they could give you a price based on cubic yards. Apparently not.

Oh, and PJ, I'm charging $35 per man hour. I would normally charge $40, but ot's my attorney, and a friend, and he has helped me numerous times and charged much less than he could have. Not to mention he sits on the board of director for my bank. He helped me secure a small loan back in the day when I was just starting out. Normally, he wouldn't let me cut him any slack, bu what he don't know....

9. polecat63

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to present my bid either today or tomorrow AM and should know something soon.

10. polecat63

Re-checked some of my numbers and am submitting the bid for the install at $14,000.00 The total bid including tear out and prep will be $18,000. Barring any major obsticles I should make a nice profit on this job. Not to mention some nice exposure in a very affluent area. Gotta make sure I do some work on Saturday so I can hand out cards to all the window shoppers. :D