Check out my business plan - Will it work?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tyler7692, May 18, 2006.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, all!

I am looking into starting a business. I LOVE doing outdoor work (especially mowing and landscaping). I'll try to make this as simple as possible...

I'm 19 years old and I am basically a college drop out (I could go back if I ever need to, but honestly, I think I am smart enough and have the street smarts and know-how to be very successful without wasting 5 years and alot of money in college only to get a degree in something I wouldn't want to do anyway). I work full time at Lowe's (This might come in handy) and I just bought a house with a nice big garage and 5 acres.

I have created a business name and logo and a plan:

First off, I want to run a VERY clean, organized and professional business. Not some **** redneck business that is very unprofessional and junky. I started out thinking that I would take my business cards around to every local business that I could think of and talk to management about putting bids in on mowing, landscaping, pressure washing, ect.

I would like to be able to mow residential and commercial areas. Maybe this is a bad idea, but I also want to landscape, build miniature ponds, decks, and pressure wash. I thought business would be slow (Meaning I get a job every now and then) so I thought I should present the fact that my company does everything listed above. Now I am starting to think I should focus on only one task at a time until the business actually starts rolling. Am I right in thinking this, or should I really try to do everything?

Anyhow, I think it may be too late in the season already for me to even try to go anywhere and place bids on mowing jobs. I think I will have to focus on landscaping and deck/pond building for the rest of the summer. I have a shitload of professional business cards and flyers on the way right now. I am going to use these to get the word out about my business. Word of mouth travels I think. I will also be having an ad in out local newspaper. This runs about $3 per day.

I have a Ford Ranger pickup truck and a 10 foot trailer to haul with. I realize this is not optimal equipment to use, but I am too cheap to go out and buy a new truck and trailer because I don't want to lose my ass if this business somehow fails. I want to take slow, but very sturdy steps to make this business work and grow. I am considering getting an F250 so I can also plow snow in the winter. Anyhow, I am stuck at this point. Where do I need to go to get a business liscence? How much is this license? Who can you get to insure your company? What insurance companies do this? It can't be State Farm or Geico or any of the auto insurer's is it? How do I get set up to pay taxes on the revenue my company brings in? All of this intricate behind the scenes business stuff is where I am lost.

Can anyone help a young guy out and give me some pointers as to where to start and what steps to take. Like I said, I don't want to jump in over my head, but I do want to get a nice rolling start and eventually make this a full time big operation to have crews mowing yards, building ponds, landscaping, ect...

Thanks for all your help.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't be an everything guy, you'll only become a jack of all trades and master of none.

Do specialize in those things that over time you find you enjoy and are good at, and leave the rest for someone else.
    After all, why do work you hate doing when someone down the street would love to do it?
    So, do that which you love and leave that which you hate to someone who loves that.

Because when you love something, you get real good at it because you like it so much it makes you want to do it better, and in the end you make the most profit from that as well.

That's been my formula, it doesn't always work out exact but it works pretty good.

3. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

I'm new as well, but can help you answer a few of the questions... Business licenses applications are available in my area @ City Hall and it tells you where to mail it in to and any other details you may need. It's about $35 in my area.

One thing I would keep in mind is to not expect results quickly and easily... it seems like you will be putting in a lot of effort and time into this business to jumpstart, but don't get down on yourself if it doesn't skyrocket... it takes time.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Spend some time with the search botton.
    Use -profit, overhead, equipment, licence, insurance, services,

It is never to late to start. Remember- everybody and their brother gets into this business. And most go broke quick and get right back out. So there are always homeowners looking to get their grass cut.

5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

As far as insurance goes, call Pete Hopkins at Insurance Solutions 765-643-4655. Pete is local and his office is located in downtown Anderson. He will be back in the office monday morning. PM me if you have any questions!

Good luck!

6. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the jack of all trades master of none... don't delve into things that you cannot do. However, if you know how to do ponds, retaining walls etc. it will set you apart from the businesses who just mow, and will help you maximize your business for 1 customer. You can then not only mow that one customers lawn, but build them a pond, retaining wall, mulch their landscaping and pressure wash their house/driveway. This will eventually help you in the long run as long as ALL of your work is of the "top notch" quality! Hope this helps and good luck!!!

7. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

How do you afford a house and 5 acres with a job at lowes??

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

What about doing some gardening for a lawn care client? I have told several people NO! no hedges, no bushes, no gardens, no mulch (whatever that is) but I never got any of those jobs. ah what am I talking about, I don't want to garden but if I had to, as if it was part and parcel of lawn care.... You see I already do window cleaning (my first love) and snow clearing, eavestrough cleaning, but don't want to garden weeds or whatever it is they do. I know I've lost out on lawn care because I said I don't do gardening. Actually now that I think about it, it was a relatively low percentage of people that asked me questions like that. nevermind.

9. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

A job at Lowe's and being 19? How is that? :confused:

10. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Good Question