check out my new booklet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tpl, Feb 24, 2002.

1. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

Expanding to cover all aspects of the business. New name, logo, everything. please tell me wahat you think before I start printing. I have spent more time than you think doing this, so be nice. I will also be doing the printing myself and am having problems finding the exact paper that I want. If you are proficient in printing on a home computer, then please give me advise. I am currently using Adobe photoshop and microsofrt word. Printing it out on a HP 990cse. The paper that I have found to do best is a 35# two sided gloss. But, i can get better print quality out of plain inkjet paper, it just isn't thick enough. I need something around 50-70# without losing print quality from an inkjet. If anyone knows where to get paper like this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I had to scan and shrink the first page and didn't have the room to put in the back page graphics with me guarantee.

Thanx,
    Patrick:blob2:

Attached Files:

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

It is IMHO a HUGE mistake to discount multiple properties just because they are within a close proximity to one another. Although this is an easy way to gain clientele, if one leaves your program you cannot justifiably raise the rest to compensate for your loss.

I also think that your advertisement is a little to involve for the prospective client. I would try to find a way to follow the KISS rule and you should be okay.

Just my .02

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Looks pretty good to me. One thing that I would change though is on the top of the landscapeing page where is says "other services" i would substitute another word for "other" it would sound more professional. Also I agree with Kutnkru on the discount thing, and maybe ad that your insured (as long as you are) and if your certified for for pest. ad that in there too.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I like the booklet. Like KutnKru I wonder how effective it is as a marketing tool. But if you can afford to print these up and hand them out, so be it. They're definitely nice.

The only thing I really don't like is the name. I don't think it has a ring to it. I don't think it's something people would read on a truck,etc. and remember. I am thinking of brand name imaging here.

I also don't like it because it says "Lawn Care" in it. I think a lot of people make assumptions about company names. And a lot of people will look at that name on your trucks, cards, etc. and think. "Oh, they just mow lawns, that's all." And that's fine, if all you were doing was lawn care. But you're trying to bill yourself as doing landscaping, irrigation, everything.

On the other hand, maybe your goal is to really focus on lawn care and make it your primary business and just do the other things as a small sideline. If that's the case, I guess the name would work fine.

Personally, I'd re-think the name. "blank landscaping", "blank landscape service", "blank landscape industries", etc. A name like that implies you do it all.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend you. I am sure you guys spent a lot of time working on that name. I am just offering my 2 cents FWIW.

5. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

I have streets that my LCO owns, we do 15 to 30 props per street due to discounting. New customers benefit from proximity & it's a domino affect. Loose one, who cares, still 15 more. Takes a few years to build it up to maximum profitability but this is the way to go.

6. Looks real good, if you feel you like it hand them out.

One thing, seeding every year is a waste of seed. It takes 2.5 years for grass to mature properly.

Now if you are only seeding bare to thin areas that's ok.

7. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

I really appreciate all of y'all's input. I do agree with about half of it. The competition is fierce here in Nashville. Luckily, I allready have a pretty good customer base. The whole reason for the elaborate brochures is that I have meetings set with a couple of homeowner groups and need the literature to go over with the people. The "free coke" idea is something that I am using to make my entire business in four or five different subdivisions. I am tired of driving to a different area each day. I just want fifty customers that can call me and I know who they are. I know this can be done because there are several companies doing this as we speak. They are making an abosolute killin'. My plan is to only service the ultra high end homes. My foot is allready in the door. Being fed jobs and meeting influential people from sales reps in a national company is as beautiful thing.
    >
    As far as the name, I guess I might need to rethink things. What I possitively wont do, is use my own name in the company name. It is way too generic and I guess it is a pet peave of mine. I had several other choices that we thought of. But, when you have a partner, you have to agree on a middle ground and go with what is there.
    >
    On the back page explains the guarantee, chartared (certified, licensed, and insured) and brings a personal aspect to the whole thing.
    >
    I thank everyone for the input. It really is nice to know that there is a site to go to and get so much input.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Jim Lewis,

What do you think of "blank TURF MANAGEMENT & LANDSCAPES"?

MATT

9. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Overall, I like it. I don't like the term "private owners" on the front. I would just use owners.

I also would not advertise "big discounts". Some discount would be okay. I don't believe I would ever give a "big discount". If you lose clients, you lose your advantage. I know having multiple properties close is great, but that $35 lawn is still a $35 lawn.

Other than that, you have an impressive booklet, but it might be too much information for your average residential presentation.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I like that. Anything that implies you do more than just lawn care is great. I like this one because it's unique. You don't see that everywhere.

Not that you necessarily need to be all that unique. I still think blank Landscaping works just fine. Lots of guys out there making great money with that kind of name. But if you can be a little different and still have a great name, all the better.

I just feel sorry for the people who put "blank lawn care or blank maintenance" and then several years later decide they don't want to JUST do lawn care any more. Then they are faced with the decision of either changing their name or keeping their existing name but risk having everyone think they just do lawn care still. Both are bad options and with a little foresight could have been prevented.