1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

check out my web site

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by EverLasting, Mar 13, 2005.

1. EverLasting

EverLasting LawnSite Member

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i'm going to bed, but just looking at page 1, it's waaaaay too long. sure, it's somewhat subjective to say that, but get your customer on your site and give them some clearly defined sub-pages to hit. couple the forever scrolling 1st page content with the numerous menu options, and it seems like unnecessary effort for a customer. why not have those 100 or so "news" headlines on their own page? case in point are the 4 menu options for organic lawn care. i'd highly recommend simplifying it to one OLC that sends them to a page that contains a bit of info and then those options. same goes for aquacide.

also, "lawns on drugs". as i said, i'm going to bed, so at a 1st level glance, i'd have no idea what that has to do with your business. i have an idea what it is, but why would you have that featured in an area that should be your main services? "terms of use" shouldn't deserve that valuable selling space as well. put a link on the bottom of each page or something, but 13 main menu options is a bit much.

why does "chamber luncheon attendees" get top-billing on your site, over and above your listing of specials and customer benefits?

howabout a service area on page 1? i had to scroll to the bottom to find a name that jumped out, which is the tiny hamlet of saskatchewan. i also don't see a phone number. if you look through your logs, you might find that people go from your home page, then to your contact page, and then exit when they ultimately figure out where you do business.

my qualified 2 cents...
  3. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I agree wholeheartedly with Tony on this one man.. I like your colours and general layout is nice, but I would really focus on making a few key points on each page. Keep it simple, clear, and to the point. I too am an organic company and have tried a few things like organic newsletters, trivia, silly sh!t that just takes up space..None of this information has EVER gotten me sales, which is what i thought i was trying to do with it...

If you really want to have a ton of info on your site, make a ton of pages, and link. Never have long scrolling pages, or long link bars. Just link in your general text areas and that way you are still delivering the quick content you need while still allowing people to have access to all the news and weather if they want it.

Also, if you watch your web stats regularly, you will have an idea of WHAT content visitors are looking at if you seperate them up into 150 pages. That way you can tailor the site to what your visitors are ACTUALLY looking for.

Just a few thoughts,

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry dude
    It's terrible
    Way tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.
    Poorly laid out .

Please try something totally different .
    Sorry I'm being soo honest .

I'm not trying to be mean .

Good luck
  5. EverLasting

OK guys (it's the wife here now)....

Size does matter - that is what you're saying. Anyhow - My previous home page was better I agree - but I got the point with "The front page is too long".

I'll work on it and get back to you.

Thanks for the honest comments.

What are your website addresses - I'll love the chance to reply the critique.

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

7. EverLasting

The Menu listing on the right side of the website is pre-built. I have no control over this as I'm using a pre-built template from the company that hosts our site.

When I purchase "Front Page" I will have much more control over the side bar.

Thanks for the tips.
  8. EverLasting

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I didn't see the previous site.........

The only thing I thought after just a minute of looking was on your "free Mowing " page...........
    Instead of full service "yard care" I'd rather see "full service LAWN care"

Just a thought,I think the LAWNcare term would sound more professional.

Sometimes things said on this forum are a bit rough around the edges, but if you look at it from a learning perspective, even if it irritates you, it may allow you to progress in a positive direction.

Good luck.
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i post this with full awareness that i may be subject to your critique...

-huge improvement with the deletion of the extraneous news and chamber luncheon info.

-i think you still need to elevate your contact info to something that requires zero scrolling to get to, such as in the open space next to your logo's tagline. as it is, with the green text, it gets lost in the mix of the other content.

-the bright blue text, especially when found in black text content, is associated with links. the bullet list is really tough to read with the excessive blue bolding. couple the bold blue, with blue links set in black content, and it becomes even more difficult to tell what's what. also, with regard to the bold text, when you have as many as you do, it gets distracting. i'd change them to bold black, and try to limit it's use.

- i'd also suggest tightening up your specials links to one color, or at least something a bit more cohesive than the rainbow. you want your site to have some form of color theme that compliments itself and is not just used to draw attention. the clean banner/menu are sharply contrasted by the multi-color text that seems haphazard in comparison.

- in the "Having you as our customers..." quote, lose the < p > tag, and add < br > at the end of each segment. this will close that awkward double-space gap.

- i typically avoid commenting on content, but this comes off as a gimmicky scare tactic: "BREAKING NEWS!!! SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS MAY CAUSE CANCER IN DOGS!"
    to me, the kicker is the word "may". i also see that the headline has a link to follow which removes your visitor from your site. why show anyone the exit when you're trying to sell something to them? any links like that should have a pop-window.

- the various association logos are of such poor quality that i think that simple text would deliver the message better. if you really want the logos, move them to some other page.

- i don't really think the grass graphic that you use to define space works with the look of your site. could be because the menu/banner/and family photo are very clean designs or quality, and the grass is not of the highest quality.

yell if you need any clarifications...