check out the bags

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cliperbob, Sep 3, 2003.

1. cliperbob

cliperbob LawnSite Member

My first firtalizer job. What a nightmare. My custermer asked if i would firtalize his lawn. I said sure. I went to my local garden supply store and told the owner that i needed a good grade of firtalizer for my custermer , i also told him that this was my first job and that i needed his exspert openion on the subject. He told me that for this time of the year i would need 0-9-27 . Now comes the nightmare.
    I pulled around to the loading door and handed my ticket to the man who worked in the back loading this and that .
    I was not conserned what he was loading into my truck and drove off to my wating spreeder. Upon arriving to the job site i empited one bag of i thought was fitrerlizer into the hopper.
    i thought this ferterlizer looked a little strange and it spreed like it was heavy or something, but i figured my hardware man knew what he was doing. Lo and behold his loader loaded cattle mineral 22% salt .
    What am i looking at?

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Well, since you are already in the spot you are in, I will just lay it on you.

Did you not think you needed to calibrate your spreader?
    Did you not think to look at the bag?
    How much N were you putting donw per 1000 ft?
    How much slow release did you have?
    Did you not notice that salt looks nothing like fert?

I understand that people need to learn, and experience is the best teacher, but the first time you fert you need to buy a couple extra bags and a scale and mark off an area at your home and put 10 lbs in and sprad for 1000 sq ft and then weigh what you have left and then you can calibrate, etc.

What do you have? Dead grass most likley. Water water water water water water water water, at least the funugs season is nearly over...
    EG

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't spell fertilizer, you shouldn't spread it!

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Ok your looking at salt damage that will not present it's self immediately but over a short time it will.

You will not be able to fertilize now till all the salt has washed out. I didn't realy get to see where your located. If you are North?

you won't be able to do anything to that lawn till spring.

Hope the homeowner don't care to much. Could be that your replacing his lawn at your cost.

READ THE LABEL

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

::Sigh:: Georgia...................

Pray for rain

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If the guy would've tried to even sell me that 0-9-27 that he had laying around I would've walked the other way. I undrstand the decent K rate this time of year, but it's still early. Why would you NOT want even SOME slow release N at this time? Like I said, they'll sell ya whetever they have at the time. That's like the programs that sock the N to you in the Springtime. Just what I need, 10" of growth a week!:rolleyes:

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I know that you were not looking at the label on the bag before you spread it. Didn't it cross your mind to check and see what the application rate was before you applied it???

MATT

8. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

What type of grass was this? How many sq. feet of lawn? 50# bag of salt??

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Release a herd of deer into the lawn. They love salt.:dizzy:

deer2_small3.jpg

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Another case for liscensing!