check out the competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 11, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i talked to my uncle yeterday .he told me he got a guy who cuts his lawn which is a little shy of two acres 35.00 .with a spring clean up he offer free poweraking and sign up contract for lawn service free 5 step chem apps. the propertys he manage are my uncle size and bigger plus hes been in business 7 years how does he survive... ohh yea plus he has three guys working for him ......

2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

This can't go on forever. Maybe he won the lotto and is doing everybody lawn at cost. Hardtellin notnoin.

3. ronslawncare

he might be doing large volume of houses right next to each other .but thats still crazy

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sign him up to do all yours and stay at home all day. :cool:

5. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

If he does a good job on your uncles then subcontract half your jobs to him and increase your customers and cash flow.

6. ronslawncare

thats a good idea but i dont have enough business to need something like that yet...

7. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

How does he survive? He under bids everyone, he might have to take on two jobs versus one, but he has three workers so you know he doesnt do much of the labor.

8. Just because he bin in bidness fo 7 years don't mean he bin payin TAXES 7 years. Also, pays crew cash only, no benefits, finds them washed up at the town poolhall each morning, after drinkin 40 weight all night.

Thats my take on someone who charges so outlandishly low and is still in buisiness. Happens all the time here, then they go back to the country they came from and someone new takes their place. Glad I got my niche and no one can touch it!

Aloha,
    P.Y.S.

9. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

That's insane! I don't see how he could make any money at those rates.
    Ron, you should advertise a lot, do many bids, get contracts, and then subcontract out the work to your uncle's guy, so that you could make additional income just by doing some paper work. (of course, it's easier said than done and probably not worth the headache)

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i ran into that same situation the other day
    guy had 2 exmark 60inch lazers and he and a helper spent 11/2 hrs at a lady that had called me yd.30 dollars
    she ask me what my price was . i just told her to stick
    with a good thing long as it last.How you buy to exmarks
    and chg that ,youd have to ask him.