Check out the e-mail from one of my customers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 22, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

It's rained here for about 12 to 14 days. Last week, I mowed my all of my accounts between drops and only had one lawn that was a problem. In the back, it looked solid but when I was mowing along the backside of the lawn, well you know the feeling of a heavy mower when it's just about to get stuck, well it almost did. I left a single 12 foot rut. Here's what I found in my mailbox today.

Me

I'm a bit upset with the way my lawn got torn up last week. I know you want to mow it every week, but it makes no sense to me to have you mow it if it's going to ruin it! Again this week it is completely saturated. Please check it out and only mow where the ground is solid.

I'll be doing some major work on the area below the wall this weekend, reducing the mow-able area.

Thanks.

Her

So, How should I answer this?

This is what I have ready to go, but I want to make sure my Ego is in check.
    To her.

I apologize for the rut and I fully intend on making a repair on the lawn as soon as it's dry, or at least dry enough to work. Since there was no standing water in that area, I assumed that the area was draining normally and that although slightly soft, wasn't muddy. Rest assured that I will walk the lawn boundary during any and all future rainy periods to make sure the ground is solid.
    As far as me "wanting" to mow it every week, I only mow when it's needed and when I'm cutting at least 1/3rd of the blade length of grass off, then mowing is warranted. As with most of my lawns, that comes about every 7 days. For most of your lawn, this has certainly been the case as of this date this season. I do not make a habit of mowing when mowing does not need to be done. I think last year is a testament to that. If you would like to switch to every 14 days, I can do that but I will have to make an adjustment on the price.
    Last weeks rain pushed my entire schedule to the point where I mowed whenever it wasn't raining, unlike some of my colleagues who mowed during the pouring rain leaving muddy ruts, and clumps of wet grass on perfectly good lawns.

Signed,
    Me

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

straightforward and business-like, fine in my book.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't get "smart" with her, I mean afterall YOU did damage her lawn, even though unintenional and certainly not on purpose. It also appears that you then failed to contact her FIRST about the damage and that you would be repairing it as you should have, and instead waited for her to have to contact you.

I am NOT slaming you here, but right is right and wrong is wrong, and you are at fault here, not the client.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

No thats fine...so what shouldn't I put in the e-mail?

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would reword this:

As far as me "wanting" to mow it every week, I only mow when it's needed and when I'm cutting at least 1/3rd of the blade length of grass off, then mowing is warranted. As with most of my lawns, that comes about every 7 days.

To something like:

As to your concern of mowing it every week, I certainly understand but I only mow when it's needed and when I'm cutting at least 1/3rd of the blade length of grass off as is the industry standard as stated by the Dept of AG. As with most of my lawns, that comes about every 7 days. ......

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with what MM said more. The way you say it sound alittle "A-HOLISH" even though she did. But I mean if you dont care about them go ahead.

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

BINGO!!!

ALWAYS notify the customer if ANY damage was done. If you do not you are not accepting responsibility for the damage and look like you are hiding. Even if you cannot fix to 100% the customer will be pleased that you had the nads to at least attempt to correct a wrong instead of just leaving it.

I just busted a mailbox post at a customers when arriving to work there :gmctruck: and before any work commenced I went and got a new post and concrete and repaired it. They made out too as the old post was pretty much shot to begin with but I still had to replace it...

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would just email her back with.

Ok, I will be more careful and will only mow your lawn when the ground is not soggy.
    Sorry for the mistake

Sincerely

I don't think the customer would have reacted at all if there was not that big ol rut in her yard

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah leave out the "wanted" part...sounds like DFW is your scriptwriter...

Always keep your communications professional, no matter how much it hurts :laugh:

10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good to me and very well written.