Check out this ad

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by J&R, Mar 24, 2005.

1. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

This was in the local paper
    XYZ Lawncare
    Keep your yard looking great.
    Quality Service- Low Rates
    You Decide What you pay For Lawn care
    We work with your budget
    1st lawn service is Free
    Limit 3/4 acre
    phone ou821

This is what i put up with this time of year.
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with working within a customer's budget. I will customize what I do to stay within their budget, within reason. No free cuts though, ever!
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet that add brings in a lot of calls.
  4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

One thing i have learned over the years is. I always say NO when someone tells me how much they will pay.
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

That jerkoff is going to be doing a lot of free mowing ,contracts or not. This is not a prudent business strategy. Business 101- never give away your profits.
  6. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

*67 and call them.

Educate them on how much it kills the whole industry doing that.

Think it's someone on lawnsite ? LOL
  7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of two things. Either this guy is insane. Or this guy is using that statement as a way to get his foot in the door.

A good salesman can help set the budget for the customer. For instance, If he gives the customer a price, but explains his price, and tells you how much value you are getting for that price, you can easily see a customers budget go up.

However, if the customer refuses to budget themselves within his price, he can always decrease the value of his service. For instance, if the customer says they can only afford $80 a month. He could always say that only gets you a mow only, no trimming, cleanup etc. This might bring the customers budget up to par real quick.

If he is truly just going to let the customer determine the price, I woulndt wory about seeing that ad next year. He will be working at Mcdonalds because it is more profitable than cutting lawns for $5.
  8. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

Devil's Advocate here...

This guy probably gets hundreds of calls. Let's say 30% of the callers say "I'll pay you $25 to mow my lawn." He can negotiate up from there. He could probably talk most people up to $30 if he schmoozes good enough. Around my area, most lawns go for about $30.

I bet most of the people that call understand the general fee for someone to cut their grass. Most of these people can also afford the service, or they wouldn't be calling. I doubt there are many callers that are completely unreasonable. If the guy has any sense at all, he'll know based on the street address if the property is worth going out to bid it anyway.

This is advertising genious simply because he's going to generate so many possible bids.

Have I or would I do something like this, of course not because it's shady, but if this guy doesn't mind the shade, he's gonna make some money.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only problem is if he works up the price, then they are really not deciding the price that they pay then. False Advertisement
  10. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

a guy that advertises like that doesn't care about moral business practices.

Like I said, I think the guy could make a killing initially just with volume, but I'd bet his quality is poor enough to end his operation. Let's just hope this kind of program doesn't continue.