Check out this catcher!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 18, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Looky what I made with my new welder- a 6 cu. ft. side catcher for my Scag. I'm going to paint it (Scag Cat's Eye Gold) tomorrow and am going to put it to the test on the first cleanup of the year within a couple days- weather permitting.
    It is very heavy - 1/8" steel plate for the vertical peice closest to the deck and the rest is 16 ga. with expanded sheet on the back. It doesn't matter that it's heavy because it is a non lift type, just grab the handle and dump it on the mower (drive over a tarp). It is similar in design to the Scag 4 cu. ft. catcher, only larger! I need to work on the mounting bracket setup alittle bit but it works fine like it is.

mar18#87.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

back view- sorry it's dark but it was 10 o'clock when I got done lol

mar18#88.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Last one - if you look you will see I also added a cupholder over the hydro fluid tank.

mar18#89.jpg

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,

Now that's what I call a Herniator 2000 catcher. My guys ***** about the weight of my gobblers w/ heavier screening - I hope the bracket is well re-inforced.

Bob

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Bob what do you mean herniator 2000? LOL. You don't have to take it off, just grab the handle and dump it. The bracket still needs alittle work but pretty good other than that. I'll post a pic tomorrow after paint and in daylight.

6. Now we're talking here.

Good start, I have a suggestion.

Why not put the expaneded metal on the front, and not the back, you will dust yourself out in back.

And "herniator 2000" sounds about right.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks LGF! I may put a flap over the screen on back and later may add screen along the sides at the top for better airflow when it fills up, but I beleive the screen in back has to stay so the airflow has suction toward the rear so it fills correctly. Why do you say herniator 2000? I don't get it...
    Here is the 4 cu.ft. Scag one:

stcwgc-4d.jpg

8. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

Hernia ??? Heniator???? looks good! Couldnt tell in the pic if you already have them but if you dont I think you need some expanded metal or at least some holes in it to let the air flow through. The acelerator baggers are almost all expanded aluminum! looks great

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey with all that weight on one side, might that effect the levelness of the cut?:blob4:

10. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will definately need more screening for that to work right. What will happen now is all the grass wil go straight to the back, fill up along the screen, and block any air flow from there. You might end up with short fills. Some perforated sheeting on the top & sides about a foot back from the front should do it.