Check out what the Customer asked me.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by SouthernYankee, Sep 14, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I go to this guys house the other day and he wants a bid on trimming some shrubs, weeding his beds(the beds are completly weeds) and putting down 6 yds of mulch.

I bid on it for $535.00 for labor and materials. I listed the services that I would be providing .

He emails me the following;

Thank you for your proposal. Please put a dollar amount for each of
    the
    items as I may need to omit or do myself to reduce the cost:
    A.1
    A.2
    A.3
    B.1
    C.1
    C.2
    D.1
    D.2

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, I don't understand.

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same thing happen before. This are real pain in the butt customers. He really just wants to break it down to exactly how much money you are making. That is why he wants it itemized. I won't do this again, once was all I needed to learn they are not the kind of customers I want. Now if you do this, at least just break it down something like this: $350 for material and $185 for labor. I'm sure you are making more than $185 but he doesn't need to know that. This guy probably makes $100+k a year but he thinks you should be making minimum wage sweating you butt off doing his yard.
    btw, your price sounds good to me Icharge $60 per yd installed + the weeding and trimming.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Last Thursday I went and looked at a job like yours. weed flower bed, edge driveway (way overgrown) and trim shrubbery plus a small amount of mulch.. I est. 9 hours to do it and was thinking "if I quote this guy 9 x 40 =360" he will crap. Big nice house retired from a great paying job (that Ive tried to get on with for years) but I got that "gut instinct right off the bat" and it was right. Before I even quoted him a price he said "I will not go more than a 100 and I want it itemized". I started walking back to the truck without saying a word. He hollered " well, can you do it for that" I never spoke or said a word. Just waved and shook my head and left him standing there as I backed out of drive and left. I have decided that I will not do anymore one time shrub trimmings, period. The guy led me to believe that he wanted the yard mowed to but when I got there told me he would do it himself. Asked me to break down everything for him like yours did to, the edging, shrubs, flower bed "to see what he could afford first". I get so PO with these folks wasting my time and gas :angry: But thats part of this biz.

5. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I have a cople of customers that asked me the same question. What I did is I break wathever I could like:
    Lawn mowing $50
    pruning$250
    etc...
    It ended up I did all the tasks I listed on the proposal. Sometimes they realize it is not worth it to mow the lawn themselves for to save $50, or $20, or $15. I would go aheah and itemize each work if they want to. I just rather have some work to do than none at all.
    Gil

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Preparing two proposals for work requested-25.00
    Shrub work-100.00
    Remove debri-30.00
    Weeding beds-175.00
    Clean-up and remove debri-75.00
    6 yards mulch ordered/delivery/installation 400.00

Your total estimate $ 805.00

:D you guys work too cheap!! :D

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Break down a $535 dollar bid? Nope. No way. If he is that cheap you do not want to deal with him in the first place.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

That would be my thought. At best he'd get maybe two numbers..............cleanup and mulching.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and doing it this way, They will look it over and say "WHAT 80.00 to drive from here to there"

The hell with him

10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

In a way its not too wild of an idea.

How many have taken their car to a mechanic and they say it needs brakes, a tune up, an oil change and tires........TOTAL 985.00

You have 500?

No one has ever asked How much for the brakes and tires?