Check this out( is it crazy or good business) !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by qlchustler, Nov 28, 2010.

1. qlchustler

qlchustler LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I saw an ad on craigslist that stated, Free year of weed n feed with 1 year lawn maintenance. I am sure this will bring in lots of customers but can the company overcome the loss on the applications by doing their lawn. Whats your thoughts on this.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

assuming 10K in turf

well think about the costs...4 bags of fert (50 bucks), and a 15 bucks of herbicide.

fert can be done during a normal lawn care visit...so minimal extra labor., and the herbicides can be applied "as needed", "spot apps" while on a normal weekly mowing visits as well.

so maybe 100 bucks in materials and labor...

if you charge enough for the one year lawn maintenance then no problem covering your costs...

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

As long as he puts the cost in his yearly bid then he'll be fine. If he avertised I'll beat any ones price and throw in weed feed he would be crazy.

I have put thoughts on something like this before as then my properties that I do spray I'll drag less weed seed from uncared for yards. I'm leaning torwards dropping who don't take the spray service instead of his method.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

Further, you can write off the weed and feed costs as an promotional expense and pay less taxes.

5. qlchustler

qlchustler LawnSite Member
    from georgia

You loose 100 bucks in material and labor, and profit you would have made on that yard for the year. ( 10,000 sq. ft. yard x 5 apps. per year in my area is about 64.00 an app or 320.00 per year. SO YOU ARE LOOSING 320.00 that seems like alot to overcome on the lawn maintenance to me.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

all depends on how he is pricing up his maintenance. given that hes advertising on craiglist, I don't give him much hope for really knowing what he's doing...

he is only loosing 100 bucks in actual costs, which is easy to over come... and if he prices his lawn services properly... hell recoup that costs easily.

the keyis to price the job properly to account for the bundled services and take advantage ofr the scheduling/travel time savings

7. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Actually loosing $220, gross-expense=net.

Up hear you have 24 cuts about. If you add $13.30 per cut or add it in a monthly contract it is made up easily. Guessing down there you have 35 cuts idk, which would be less than $10 a cut difference. He is working it in his price somehow and I'm guessing he isn't the cheapest guy in the area (if he knows what he is doing). We got guys that will spread fert for free with a estimate for mowing/weed control. It's built in somewhere.

8. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I've seen it advertised on craigslist around here as well. My first thought was mowing guys were trying to avoid testing and buying an applicators license and insurance, by saying they are doing it for free. I doubt the dept of ag would see it this way.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marc

I couldn't agree with you more. Retail does the loss leader to get people in the store's door. So why not do a Freebie to get in the customer's door. Of course like you say the customer is paying for that service in the bundle, he just perceives it is free. BTW I have tried Crag's list even with outlandish cheap offers just to see the response. Very little or No luck so far.

Fire Ant Country guys can advertise Free Fire Control with a year long contract as long as they are licensed. If the timing is right Baits are both cheap and effective. A shaker of Orthene Fire Ant insecticide can kept on the mower and applied as needed on mounds that might slip by the baiting. BTW I saw a local Licensed Pesticide guy's Yellow page advertisement that is coming out in December. They are advertised Free Fire Ant Control with a mowing contract. I guess he is going to sub the mowing part because he doesn't mow any more. OH WAIT that me advertising FREE FIRE ANT CONTROL with a mowing contract. I am just trying to get some work for some buddies. We have a lot of working class homes with Bahia or weedy lawns that would benefit from such an offer. However I will try and up-sell certain accounts to full service. I am anxious to see the response to this ad because I feel it is a very strong with the FREE Fire Ant Control. Most all advertising people will tell you FREE is a top attention getter.

10. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i bet his idea of a yr of weed and feed is 2x yr spring and fall it's a tease.
    did he mention a yr of a lawn program or just weed and feed???