check this out. watch out for fellow members...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTSolutions, Jun 10, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

hey guys, i dont know how many of you remember a member on here by the name of Benz2328, he had a few posts about his cub cadet tank, it not striping and a big post BEGGING for your guys help on pricing out a mowing bid for an Indian temple. I could say many more things about him, but ill take the high road and get on with my story.

I finished up these two corner lawns at the top of a street that is perpendicular to a main street. We take excellent care of these houses, i mean the lawns get edged every week, immaculate trimming, the beds get their edges recut with the trimmer every week, the striping looks good etc... Well i go to the one house to pick up payment and have a lil chat with the homeowner because i believe in strong customer relation, and we get on the topic of competition and how the kid who mows the house next door, (which is a relative of the kid) came by, knocked on her door, asked her how much she pays to get her lawn cut, and then offered to do it for 5 BUCKS LESS! that totally blew my mind. I mean im already cheap in my prices, at $23 per cut for that lawn is about as much as i could get away with in this area with competition being the way it is. BUT HE GOES AND OFFERS TO DO IT FOR 18 DOLLARS A CUT! thats totally insane. AND HE BAGS THE GRASS!

So for all you talking about lowballers, watch out, they are on here, thats why i dont give away any prices (he already knew this price which is why i just said it) or strategies, people are just waiting to stab you in the back for your business. I know you may think im a lowballer for my price, but even with the high quality work we put into these two lawns, my brother and I are able to knock them out in 10 minutes each, so our profit margins are up there which is why i can afford to cut it at that price.

2. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

Man it happens, just gotta keep chuggin.

I really don't understand how you can get done with all you named in 10 minutes. Really. Edging, new trims on flowersbeds, trimming, mowing. Even if you're doing front yard only, 10 minutes is a little stretch.

How small are the lots? Apartments?

3. PTSolutions

from OH

the lots really are not that big, less than 10,000 sq. ft. the edging i can hold our stick edger with one hand and run it through, the edges have been dug in already so all it does is cut the blades that hang over. Ive been likened to a Jedi Knight with a trimmer, so im pretty quick and accurate, the flower bed i just flip the trimmer over and cut the edge and it looks good as new.

here you can see for yourself, my lawns versus his lawn:

Pics of the two houses I do:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the house HE does:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

So whats your point? His looks OK, so does yours......

5. mj'slawncare

mj'slawncare LawnSite Member

no way i would do that for 23 dollars i don't unload for less then 35 no joke

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I don't have any accounts lower then $35 and it's small, I'm there 25 minutes tops.

7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

That is ALOT of grass for $23.

$35 is as low as we go here!

8. PTSolutions

from OH

if you havent fully read the top paragraph, our rates around here are alot different than wherever you guys are. my new minimum for new lawns is 25 so that should go to show you the market difference, you cant compare markets like that.

it should go to show you if i have competition willing to cut those for 18 per cut, that i damn well cant go around charging 35 now can I?

theres is no way you can compare the quality between them, he doesnt edge, and the yard just looks like crap, i know i only got two pics of his, but trust me you just cant compare the services.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can see where a whole lot of people wouldn't want those tire marks all over their lawns. If you're going to stripe then stripe. Buy a roller and do it right.

10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

25 is lowballing to me.