Check this out - What would you do? (a little long)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the situation..

I bought a 2000 Dodge 2500 on the 18th of May from a small used truck division of a major dealer. About a week into having the truck, I started hearing what I thought was drive shaft noice. So I stopped by the dealer around 7pm one evening and told them about it. They said to bring it to thier mechanic when I have the time during the day. I did a couple of days later. The mechanic told me that there were shavings in the rear, the transfer case was half empty and the seal needed to be replaced. He told me to tell my dealer that it needs to go to the main dealership for the work/repairs.

So I call the sales manager (last Thursday) to tell him.. he said he just got off the phone with the mechanic and would give me a call tomorrow (last Friday) to let me know when I could bring it in to have the work done. I said okay but... I need another truck as a replacement vehicle, not a car. He tells me that he doesn't think that that is possible because they only provide cars as a replacement vehicle. I said no... I need a truck. It's not my fault you sold me a truck with a bad rear and I bought this truck for work. He says he'll look into it and then asks me if I purchased an extended warranty. I said yes but what difference does that make? It is still covered with the 100% 30 day drive train warranty by YOU!

So, Friday comes and I anxiously await his phone call. Guess what.. no call. Okay.. maybe they were busy and he'll call tomorrow (Saturday). Nope! Sunday nothing.

I'm really steamin' by Monday. Instead of calling this MF'er back I figured I try to call the GM at the main dealership. It took 4 calls by me to get a return call two days later (today) from him. So I explain everything to him and guess what.. he can't help me. Says "It's not my jurisdiction". GREAT!?!? Says "I'll relay this information to so and so who is the supervisor for used vehicles at both locations.

So and so calls me around 4 this afternoon and asks me what the problem is? I said the GM didn't explain it to you? This is pathetic.. isn't it?

I explain the problem and tell him I need a truck!!! He says we don't have any trucks as loaners but I'll see what I can do. He calls me back about 15 minutes later and says he will do me a favor and let me have a truck off the lot if I accept responsibilty for insurance and sign a waiver or something. I said do insurance companies cover this sort of thing? He said to call my insurance and find out. So I call (GEICO) and they say yes.. they cover any loaners or temporary replacements for up to 30 days. FANTASTIC! Now.. I'm starting to feel a little better and call so an so back. Tell him no problem with the insurance and he says good.

He then proceeds to tell me..... "By the way, we discovered (he hesitates for a few seconds here) that $41.36 is owed by you for tags." Now I hesitate for a few seconds myself... BECAUSE I HAD TO PICK MY JAW UP OFF THE FLOOR.. and said "you're F'ing kidding me right?" He said "about what?" I said "I signed a contract for the truck, extended warranty, tax and tags. I don't owe you anything. It's not my fault if you made a mistake. I can't believe you are bothering me for $41.36 when I paid the asking price (no haggling) for the truck." I then told him to eat the $41.36 for the aggrevation I've been through!!

He said he'd call me back to let me know when the truck could be brought in for service. Calls back and tells me to drop it off on Monday. I said "Okay?" (saying to myself.. if the rear & drive shaft hold up 'til then). IF YOU CAN BELIEVE THIS... He says again, "will you bring a check with you?" I said.. "FOR WHAT???" He says "for the tags." I said "I already went over this with you." He says it is what it is for the tags and I'm going out on a limb for you by giving you another truck." I said "I have the insurance.. what's the problem?" He says "we typically don't do this sort of thing." I said "I would hope you don't sell many vehicles with bad rears! See you Monday!!!"

END
    -----------------------------------------

So what do you all think of this ****? What would you do if you were in this situation? I got the impression from his final comments that if I don't bring a check.. I won't get the replacement truck.

Sincerely,

Frustrated as all heck :angry:

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Geez, now I know dont buy used!

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

well, do everything you can to get the loaner truck. eating the $41 on your part might be worth it since your business depends on it. Just be sure to "get $41 out of it" :) Make sure it has plenty of acceleration and pulling power :)

I got screwed at the used car lot as well, i bought a car and drove it locally for 2 months before commuting to school, then once i started commuting highway i noticed that the sunroof didn't seal well and made a nasty howling noise. I brought it in to have it fixed and they said there is nothing wrong with it. and then asked why i hadn't brought it in sooner. I didn't know why i had never noticed it before until after the fact. I never drove the thing when it was raining, and when it was nice out i just opened the damn sunroof. oh well, After Bitching and Moaning (yelling on my part) I couldn't even get the manager to go for a drive so i could make him eat his words. I said i bought the car with a 3 month warranty and i damn well expected them to fix it if it meant i had to get a new sunroof all together. They pulled some "its not a safety critical defect, so we don't have to fix it, plus it'll cost us $975" excuse. I guess they figured i was a kid (18 at the time) and they could do whatever. Well they were right, by the time i got back to the dealer again the warranty was up and now i've got a noisy sunroof.

Sorry for thread jacking, you just re-kindled my anger for used car people.

4. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I had and still have as a matter of fact a problem with my F250. took it in said I would need a truck and they also said they don't supply loan trucks......GREAT! Then how the heck does somebody get their truck fixed and still work.

Steve

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

How many other contractors do you know in your area? Share this experience with them. There is a LARGE dealership near me which isn't bad to buy from, however service wise they are DICKS! They will only give good service to people who buy lots and lots of vehicles from them. So of course word gets around about them, and a bunch of people refuse to buy from them. Those that do, tend to bring their trucks elsewhere for service. So while they still do a lot of sales, just think how many they are losing out on because of word getting around about their service department.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Tell them that you expect quality service from them and if you are not satisfied that you plan on contacting the Chamber of Commerce, Better Business, and the State Attorny's office. BTW the tag thing is a scam plane and simple. Show them your contract and tell them if they persist in this matter that you will contact the state attorny's office. Sometimes dealers will contact you and say that they made an error and you owe them like $200. So be careful but be firm. Not angry and do not yell.

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

You cleared the loaner through your insurance carrier. Good.

I say if you can make the problem go away for $41.00 & change - do it. That's one cut, one property. You have better ways to spend time than worrying about this mess. Yes? Sure, it sucks to spend the money but if that's what it takes to solve things & be able to get back to your routine it's a relatively small price to pay.

8. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

be sure and document everything, and i mean everything. sounds like to me there a dealership that doesn't mind pulling schidt on a customer after the sale, the 40$ dig out your paperwork and make sure its there somewhere, if not pitch a fit in the showroom they seem to really respond to this quiet well:D

9. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

#1: They're jerking u around to waste time for the work
    #2: Get your paper work out and take it with you and make them prove the $41 is in their favor.
    #3: DEFINITLY do it on the showroom. big schene
    #4: Bug them like your customers do when you don't show up when they think u should.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have that option?

Some places have a no hassle return program. Wonder what kind of "repair" your gonna get when its on their dime? This would worry me more. You could always rent a pickup at HD or Uhaul for a day or 2.

This is why I have a backup truck. When one trucks in for inspection or whatever, I can use the backup truck.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes!

Oh, and go tell him to pound sand for that $41 for tags! Read your sales agreement/pink slip thouroughly.

Good Luck,

Keep us up to date!