1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Check This Out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, May 12, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a lawn that was seeded in October 06 with Lesco Transition blend Fescue. The lawn was started from nothing so this is its first summer. The weather in this area has been really dry and over 80 degree.

This problem has progressed from a few small spots to one large problem. Last week the entire lawn was looking dry so this spot didn't stand out like this. I talked her into watering and the lawn greened back up. Now this area need some serious attention.

I was thinking that it was brown patch but not sure.

Can anyone lD this problem and give me some suggestions to remedy it?

Thanks for all your help.:)

2. clallen03

Couple more shots

3. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like brown patch to me..but too late to do anything about it.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not absolutely certain, but the lesions do look like brown patch.

Spray a good systemic fungicide at the curative rate, along with micronutrients. It should knock it out.

What is the treatment history on this Fescue? Having BP this early might indicate too much N in the past couple of months.
  5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Could be from the dog.............bet they have a lab
  6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Before any applications, try watering it deeply with one of those moving sideways springlers for about an hour. Deep watering. Then decide if the turf has died or stressed by the recent cold spell. Probably not but a quick test would tell you something unless y'all gotten more rain than TN.
  7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Soil test?
    If it was planted last fall i'm suprised to see it that way this year.
    water deeply every third day and start mowing to 4 inches.
    if still brown after a week do a late pre-emergent with a good amount of quick release fert. 70%-50% fast.
    IMO i would waste the money on the fungicide, it's too late.
  8. clallen03

This lawn was fertilized in mid march with a 25-2-5. It is now due for another feeding, but I'm hesitant to do anything until I can get this problem under control.

I don't think its a problem from the cold spell we had and the grass has been water pretty well for the past week. This has gradually got worst and started before the cold spell. They don't have any pets but they do have kids next door that run through the lawn from time to time, but thats no big issue.

I was thinking it was some type of fungus because of the way the blades look, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now, Fescue is having issues with hot spots from the temps and lack of rain. Our humidity has not been high enough to cause lots of BP, but you never know.

It appears from the close photos that you do have visible lesions on the leaf surfaces. If you look on the outside edge of the brown areas and see lesions on the green tissue, you know it is disease. I only say BP because that is normally what occurs on Fescue in our area. You have to examine the lesions very closely to make that determination. One thing that throws me is that BP is normally circular patterns. What you have is obviously not circular. How long have you been seeing this condition? If this kicked off in cooler weather, it could be Pythium.

To be complete, the only way a disease can be effectively diagnosed is through the lab. We in the field obviously cannot do that, so we make good guesses based on symptoms.

This link is a very good tool for diagnosis. Turfgrass diseases in GA
  10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

whats under the turf? gravel? hardpan?