Check this out!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by menges21, Jan 18, 2011.

1. menges21

menges21 LawnSite Member

Everyone on here likes to complain about lowballers well looks like Rhode Island may be doing something to help with the problem. Check this article out that says Rhode Island may make it required for all landscape companies to be registered and carry $100,000 liability insurance. What I found most disturbing is the peoples comments to the article where they think every landscaper is someone cutting grass for $20 people get with it were real business' as well.

2. menges21

menges21 LawnSite Member

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

As usual they have it half right. Forcing lco's to register and carry insurance is an outstanding idea. 100k is too low. Most insurance companies won't write a policy that low. Hopefully some homeowners wake up and realize the liability they assume when hiring scrubs. The problem comes with the verbage of the bill. There is a huge difference between a landscaper and a landscape design architect. The congressman needs to do some more homework and talk to more business owners at the smaller end of the spectrum.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it will make a darn bit of difference.That's the rules here and nobody follows them. Where are the people that are suppose to be enforcing them?

5. Patriot Services

We're talking Rhode Island here. The 3 state troopers they have should be more than enough. It would a good test bed to see if it is physically enforceable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. I just can't get too excited about it, here in Indiana its a law you have auto insurance, guess what a lot don't, and nothing happens unless that person gets in an accident.

7. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. Patriot Services

Now if they made it enforceable by Florida DOT here that might work. Personal experience shows they are very thorough in their current inspections.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

lol, it's funny that people think that they're attacking children and cute little retired men on their riding mowers in their own neighborhood.
    The reality is that $50 a month of insurance really isn't much, I got plenty of scrubs here that have it, you don't have to do anything special to get it. I had to do a credit check but I have a very low credit score and I got it- I don't know what registering would do and who would enforce it.

I have operated several years without ever having a liability claim, nothing ever happened to require a claim, and that's why customers don't care if you have it. There are no horror stories to make them say "Crap!, I'd better get someone with insurance so that doesn't happen to me!!"

maybe someone should litter the uninsured's accounts with rocks and bits of metal lol.
    Otherwise, the public will not realize a need.

10. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

That would both create jobs, and protect jobs but $50/month insurance ain't crap.