1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Check this out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nu83, Feb 2, 2004.

1. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Came across a website almost by accident tonight, looks exactly the same as my website that I created 2 years ago. Same pictures, same educational content, same layout, same everything but a couple of edits for company name and contact info. Check them out.

www.greatlawns.com - real site

http://www.dacuslawn.com/index.htm - thiefs site

Does anyone know ths guy? Looks like he operates out of Georgia and has had the site up for about a year.

Has anyone had this happen before?

The best part is he didn't even bother to change my pictures out.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Did you have the design and content of your site protected and copyrighted? If so , you have a clear cut case of fraud on your hands.Either way, it's a dirty SOB to do to you. You should get every LS member to bulk email him telling him what a lowlife scumbag he is.He is also falsely advertising his business by using context and pictures of your site. It looks as if he just jacked your site, changed the name & #'s, and called it his own.Maybe the Atty Gen. of Georgia would like a phone call from you as well.
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Thats just wrong. I would call his a$$ every day and night till he changed it
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

NU83 who did your site? it's nice. but you need to deal with this other LCO. Especially if those are your pictures. That's just too wrong. Please keep us posted about what is going on.
  5. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Maybe someone copied your site and sold it to him. Either way it is illegal. Contact him and see how he responds and if he responds with an attitude you will know he was the one that copied it.
  6. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Web development business on the side and I can tell you that I see this all the time. here is how you can tell that he copied you content other than the obvious, go to View and then click on Source in your browser. then compare the code. As you will see he even named the images the same on his site.

Here is a link to a script that will prevent any future idiots from viewing your source code.

I would call him and state that you have tracked his ip address from your site, so you know that he has been downloading images and other parts of your site, and copying them which is illegal beacause of the copyright statement posted on the bottom of your page. Chances are that he will probably come up with some BS story, but he will probably be scared enough to change his Web site very soon.

Hope this helps
  7. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

That script will not stop anyone from copying code or pictures.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

NU83, you need to contact this guy that kind of thing is unfortunate but this your business. However impacts advice on bulk e-mailing should NOT be done that is called harrassment.
  9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Or you could consider handling this in a professional manner. Email him with your concerns, hear his side of the story, then take action from there. As bad as it may look there are two sides to every story. Don't get other lawnsite members involved with trying to contact him, what business is it of theirs?? Its between you & Daucus Lawns...be a gentleman, be professional and good luck!
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree!