1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Check this out!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Get my newspaper on Saturday and read the following........

Ben's Lawn Service and Hard Work. Most city yards $15.

And then I find out a business that I was mowing last season for $45 is now being mowed for $25.

I don't understand people. The other day there were 15 new people in the paper advertising for lawn care. I live in a town of about 10,000.

Don't get me wrong, I like this business (29 accounts and landscape as well), but these types of things really bug me.
  2. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

I bid a lawn this year at $50/ a mow. The home owner told me his guy just went up to $30/ a mow this year. Big lawn, lots of beds, about an hour a week for one guy. How do people make a living at $30/hr ?
  3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Over 500 in my county
  4. environment

environment LawnSite Member

i just started business for myself 3 weeks ago
    i worked in thi field however since i was six

and im having a hard time gaining maintenance because i want even consider maintenance for less than $30 a week for mowing, edgin the beds and blowing the hard surfaces each week

i have been told many times i am way to high

however im not, and i know im not
    if you want a professional to take care of your lawn you have to pay for it

i would rather start out struggling like i am then give in and resent myself later

at this moment i have only 8 mainteance accounts

am hoping for a nice commercial account by the end of the week
  5. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Stick to your guys man.

When people give in and do something for nothing, it hurts everyone.

This business can be great. Lots of people make lots of money.

I'm using this business as a means to make a living until I get out of college.
  6. environment

environment LawnSite Member

ya the more people give in to cheap prices, the less of us survive
    companies that are professionals and actually pay our bills, and have a substantial payroll, and overhead, just cant afford to compete with a $15 lawn maintenance
    its not right
    i think there should be more licensing involved with this business
    and licenses should be acquired through tests of knowledge and skill, they dont need to charge anything crazy, thta wouldnt be fair, this way anyone can take the test, but only the ones who know there stuff could become a landscaper

it would filter out the one season flingers who come and go like the wind
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey. This isn't San Fransisco. And we're don't need to make THAT kind of money. :p

NEWINNJ LawnSite Member

Hey environment. Just sent you a PM
  9. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

If you are a sole proprietorship, $30 an hour is awesome money if you have enough accounts. How many jobs can you make $30 an hour outside enjoying what you do and being your own boss? Not many.
  10. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I do $30 for some decent sized yards, but only a few neighbors who I've mowed for since I was 12. I guess I kinda think I owe it to them, after all they were a big help in getting me this far, and I don't have any drive time and can do them whenever...