Check this out

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by j fisher, Jan 17, 2005.

1. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Just a reminder, that the day could always have been worse.

000_0091 (Medium).JPG

000_0090 (Medium).JPG
  2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

i dont get it. is that a hornets nest.
  3. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he was setting out to trim the shrub and did his homework by checking it for nests. Lookie !
  4. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

That's what it is.
  5. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one in my back yard. my kids where on the trampoline and saw it. It was about 8 feet from them and was full. I took it out and got stung about 4 times. Good thing I don't get any reactions to bee stings other then frustration... LoL
  6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you'd almost need to put on a haz-mat suit and go after it.

Last time I messed with a hornet's nest, I sprayed it down with carburetor cleaner and got the hornets away, and then took the nest out and burned it.
  7. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

We were on a job doing tree work this past summer and Zakil (not even close to the right spelling, Brazillian name) was cutting down some bushes. Sure enough he pisses off a nest of of hornets and gets stung in the eye.
  8. Greenhorn1980

Greenhorn1980 LawnSite Member

Tragic circumstances. Love the outdoors and smell of fresh cut brush, deathly allergic to stings. Have to carry an injector with me in case I am stung.
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The interesting thing is...if you approach calmly, slowly, and deliberately, you can spray the nest and stick the wand right into it without getting stung. I have sprayed hundreds of nests and have yet to be stung. The bees are too interested in getting back into the nest and the wand that they pay no attention to you. You just have to make sure you don't make any sudden moves, like swatting them.
  10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a bad run last summer, with both nests in the bushes and in the ground. One guy was stung in the eye, also. Not fun. Glad you found that one before you started pruning!